PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do i obtain the windows driver for my system?

iseekins
August 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I just installed ndisgtk, but i don't know how to obtain my windows driver to make my wireless work.

mjavorek
August 7th, 2008, 09:32 PM
At first you must know, which card you have. Then you can search for win driver.

iseekins
August 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
im in vista right now and it says i have a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. how do i use that information and install the driver in ubuntu?

dje
August 7th, 2008, 10:41 PM
im in vista right now and it says i have a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. how do i use that information and install the driver in ubuntu?

i have that card, do the following:
open up a terminal (applications >> accessories >> terminal) and type the following:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
answer yes when it asks to download the firmware

hope that helps,
dje

Ayuthia
August 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
If you don't know how to check, you can open up the Terminal and type:

lspci -nnand look for something that says Network Controller or Ethernet Controller. You can also look at:

lshw -C networkThat will list out your network cards.

If you need more help, just post the results of lspci -nn and we will try to help point you in the right direction.

iseekins
August 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
ok thanks guys:)

iseekins
August 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
ok it works!!!! Thanks guys for all the help

iseekins
August 8th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Uh-oh Now I can see the wireless networks but it wont let me connect. it just keeps trying to connect and than stops after several minutes. Im on a college campus and I was in my room and it connected for me and I moved to a different building and I can see the networks to connect to but it wont let me connect.

Locutus_of_Borg
August 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM
i have a laptop with that wireless card

in order to connect i had to manually turn wireless off through the hardware button then back on, otherwise it would just endlessly try to connect

if that doesnt work try it through the terminal:

ifconfig wlan0 down && dhclient -r wlan0 && ifconfig wlan0 up && iwconfig wlan0 essid NAME_OF_YOUR_NETWORK_ESSID && iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed && dhclient wlan0

change wlan0 to your interface, and input your own ESSID

iseekins
August 8th, 2008, 03:53 AM
i have a laptop with that wireless card

in order to connect i had to manually turn wireless off through the hardware button then back on, otherwise it would just endlessly try to connect

if that doesnt work try it through the terminal:

ifconfig wlan0 down && dhclient -r wlan0 && ifconfig wlan0 up && iwconfig wlan0 essid NAME_OF_YOUR_NETWORK_ESSID && iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed && dhclient wlan0

change wlan0 to your interface, and input your own ESSID

Sorry im really new to this...how do i know my interface and what is my own ESSID?

Locutus_of_Borg
August 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM
open up a terminal then:

sudo -i
iwconfig
this will list your interfaces, the one that does not say "no wireless extensions" is your wireless interface, so substitute that for wlan0 in the previous command (it will probably be either eth0 or wlan0)

now back in that same terminal, enter
iwlist [INTERFACE] scan use the same interface from the last step (dont use brackets)
this will list all the available wireless networks you can connect to including the ESSID and whether it is unsecure or encrypted (you an also just click on the network manager icon to get a list of available wireless network names/essid's) put the name of the network into the previous post's command where it says "NAME_OF_YOUR_NETWORK_ESSID"

then just press enter, wait a moment, and you should get a message saying dhcp has binded you to some address, now you should be connected