PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Heron and Time Capsule

bsalisbury1
August 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone. I'm VERY new to ubuntu and relatively new to the "code scene." So I'm having some difficulty with my network. I have a MacBook Pro with a Time Capsule network. However, I cannot share files between my laptop and my ubuntu setup, nor can I mount the hard drive on the TC. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

thales de mileto
September 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hi there. Could you clarify a bit your question? i.e. the mac laptop is running ubuntu? if not what is running ubuntu?

I have an iMac,running Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.11 I believe) a 1Tb Time Capsule and a HP nx8220 laptop running ubuntu (Hardy). Im able to use TC via wireless from both the iMac and the laptop.

If you explain your setup a little further I might be able to help. Any how, have a look at ytene's post in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=670535 . Very helpful.

Best.

bsalisbury1
September 11th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard and a Gateway GT5012 Desktop running Hardy. I've tried the instructions given by ytene, but I still cannot get the disk to mount. Well....i think I can get the disk to mount, just when I try to open it (from the link on my desktop) I get the error "Couldn't display `/media/Capsule'. There is no application installed for this file type." I installed the smbfs and smbclient and I'm still having issues.

thales de mileto
September 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi. I would suggest you make sure you have mounted the folder in the TC volume. To do so open a console or a terminal and execute the "mount" command. You should see a line saying something like
//192.168.1.36/Time Capsule on /media/capsule type cifs (rw,mand)

If so then execute "cd /media/Capsule" . Then "ls -l" and you should see your files with owner and permissions.

BTW, are you trying to mount the hole volume or just a folder?
The command I use is :

mount.cifs //192.168.1.35/"Time Capsule"/prueba /media/capsule -o pass=Mypasswd

i.e I mount the folder "prueba"

Hope it helps.
Best.

drake144drake
February 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hey I am new to Ubuntu. I am running Snow Leopard, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667MHz ddR2 SDRAM(2 GB ram) I am also running ubuntu with boot camp and i can't figure out how to connect my Ubuntu to the internet. I'v tried all sorts of help pages and the internet I just can't find anything please help. I have a 1TB Time Capsule and I don't know how to connect it to the internet PLEASE HELP

dk12rk
March 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
In my case, the time capsule mounts fine. I can see it under places. But when I open the folder /media/capsule (where I mounted) I don't see any file. Even if I open the terminal and change the directory to /media/capsule I don't see any folders/files (using ls-l).
The unusual thing is that I can create a folder (example "Test") and I can see that folder when I open Time Capsule on OS X. In Ubuntu, if I reopen Capsule from places, I cannot see the folder I just created.
I check the permissions on the /media/capsule folder and I have set them or drwxrwxrwx.

Suggestions, anyone?