PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thinkpad X31 Wireless

jjarzabek
August 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Have an older X31 with built-in wireless. Was working up until updates ran today. Now nothing - no wireless. Devices are found successfully and the wireless network settings are in place but it's like it doesn't even know the wireless hardware is there. Any ideas?

The system was updated to "Hardy Heron".
Before HH, wireless was fine.

chili555
August 6th, 2008, 02:37 PM
The X31 came with 4-5 different wireless cards. Which one do you have? Find out with:
sudo lshw -C networkPost back and we'll be glad to help.

jjarzabek
August 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Here is what it shows:

PCI (sysfs)
*-network:1
description: Wireless interface
product: AR5212 802.11abg NIC
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:02:02.0
logical name: wifi0
version: 01
serial: 00:05:4e:4c:d6:0b
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath_pci ip=10.0.0.103 latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath_pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

What's interesting, I ran a fresh install of 8.04.1 and the wireless works now but I need to change it back and forth from roaming mode so that the interface updates. It doesn't remember the settings nor will it find any other broadcasted SSID's unless I toggle in and out of roaming mode. It seems like it "forgets" it has wireless capabilities. I need to do this everytime the machine is rebooted.

tennvic^
August 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Seams to be solved on http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=409247

Add the following lines to your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file:

# these aes modules break the airo driver
blacklist padlock_aes
blacklist geode_aes

I have a similar pb after upgrading from gutsy.

tennvic

jjarzabek
August 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I tried that fix from the other thread but that doesn't do much. What's odd is that even after getting the wireless to work in the same session, after several hours it stops. I know it is NOT a hardware problem because booting into Windows, everything is fine.

chili555
August 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Anybody see any issue here?
driver=ath_pci ip=10.0.0.103 And here:
# these aes modules break the airo driverI doubt the blacklist did anything useful.

craigtyson
April 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Got a similar issue with my IBM X31 airo WIFI card on Gutsy (old but works well with the X31)

WIFI works then WIFI stops

do a
sudo modprobe -r airo
sudo modprobe -i airo

then WIFI works again

Seems to be dependent on the amount of traffic put through the card so always stops in the middle of a film or large download

Anyone got any ideas?