PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 4GB of swap necessary now?

tuxerman
August 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
After my recent upgrade, I run Kubuntu Gutsy on Core2Duo E8200 with 2GB of RAM. When I installed it a few months ago, I created a 4GB swap for good measure. However I want some more space for other partitions and am not ready for another hard disk, so I want to know if I can bring down the swap size to maybe 1GB or so.

With 2GB of physical memory inside, my swap isn't being used at all, as I can see from 'free'. So isnt it safe to limit my swap to 1GB?

One more thing.. is there a way to save the list of extra packages I have installed(after installing the OS), so that I can easily install them again after a clean install?

ramjet_1953
August 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
2GB of swap should be fine.

Have a look at RemasterSys for making a custom install CD/DVD.

Here's a link:

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com

Regards,
Roger :cool:

Sef
August 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM
With 2GB of physical memory inside, my swap isn't being used at all, as I can see from 'free'. So isnt it safe to limit my swap to 1GB?

1 GB is all that is needed. If you want with 4 GB ram, you don't have to have a swap partition at all.

Elfy
August 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
If you don't hibernate then you could likely drop your swap to very little - unless you are going to be using memory intensive apps in the future. With 1.2Gb Ram and 1Gb swap the only time I use swap is if I'm using a virtual machine.

ET!
August 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
with 2 gb of ram swaps hardly takes place(unless you are running a very heavy graphics application)..you can reduce the swap space from ubuntu live cd