PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Mock-up (Modern Gnome)

mattchesters
August 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
I've been a bit bored this weekend and decided to do a little mock-up of a theme I may create.
I was trying to think of a slightly more modern looking gnome.

The bottom bar is meant for widgets like weather ect..
and lists of open windows and favorite applications.
The white glow shows open/current windows, the red glow is windows that require your attention.

What I love is that the whole thing works around your wallpaper. (I may post more pictures of other wallpapers)

Please tell me what you think.

Wallpaper : Exos link (http://ipholio.deviantart.com/art/Exos-Wallpaper-Pack-49328794)

EDIT: Newer mockup added for those who are not following the thread (Attachment 2).

Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/umbragui)

Nitrolinken
August 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I love eyecandy, and that looks sweet.

I'd love to have something like that.

andrek
August 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Love the fonts. Mind sharing the secret? :)

mattchesters
August 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
The font is just Helvetica Neue (http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/neue-helvetica/).

And I just updated the original post with a link to the wallpaper.

For editing, I used Adobe Fireworks (Sorry, on my mac!), and the menu bars ect are all done with different glows and shadows. I did this because it means that the wallpaper is always visible and the menu bars are not too 'in-your-face' yet not too hard to see.

KillerSponge
August 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I actually quite like it. Looks modern, slick and professional. Wouldn't mind this to be made in a 'real' desktop :KS

OutOfReach
August 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Wow that looks really awesome!
It would be awesome-er if it was reality. :P

era86
August 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
I like the colors alot. I wouldn't mind using it.

otoris
August 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Looks pretty good.

I think the wallpaper needs to be diffrant though, kinda looks like vista wallpaper.

Good work though.

Merk42
August 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
It does look nice, I'm a little confused as to the bottom though.

Are you having the applications be icons like OSX instead of the taskbars like GNOME/Windows?

mattchesters
August 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Just to show the effects of a darker wallpaper, here's a wallpaper thats a bit more familiar...

mattchesters
August 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Are you having the applications be icons like OSX instead of the taskbars like GNOME/Windows?

Well the idea was like a 'favorite applications' and or 'open windows'.
In the overall scheme of things I was hoping this would be customizable (like widgets), choose what you want.
Oh and the 'dashboard' icon is just because I didn't have time to add different icons, and I'm working on a Mac (sorry!). Ignore this and pretend they are your much loved applications you use daily.

Merk42
August 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well the idea was like a 'favorite applications' and or 'open windows'.
In the overall scheme of things I was hoping this would be customizable (like widgets), choose what you want.
Oh and the 'dashboard' icon is just because I didn't have time to add different icons, and I'm working on a Mac (sorry!). Ignore this and pretend they are your much loved applications you use daily.

I understand they were merely place holders, I just meant you'd like the bottom to act more like OSX and less like it does now. Where it is just icons, and for favorites and active, and not a longer bar with the title in it like GNOME is now.

mattchesters
August 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm trying to make something a bit different, after read what you wrote (Merk42), How about this:
Each open application gets its icon, and next to it, all open windows of the application.
Something like this:

Vorian Grey
August 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
That is very uber looking. I want.

Sephoroth
August 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, that idea seems great...perhaps too great....

edd07
August 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'm trying to make something a bit different, after read what you wrote (Merk42), How about this:
Each open application gets its icon, and next to it, all open windows of the application.
Something like this:
That looks really cool, but it's space-inefficient for applications with only one open window. Maybe showing only the icon unless there are more than one window open?

This looks awesome! Do you intend to make it real?

etomic13
August 3rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I absolutely love this mock up that would be great desktop theme.

mattchesters
August 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
That looks really cool, but it's space-inefficient for applications with only one open window. Maybe showing only the icon unless there are more than one window open?

This looks awesome! Do you intend to make it real?

I agree with the spacing, great idea, I will update the mock-up tomorrow on the train.

Also, I have every intension on making this a reality. But its not going to be easy, hence the reason I wanted to seek people's interest and feedback on the design before I begin programming.

If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them. Also, if anyone would like to get involved on the development, post your interest!

Merk42
August 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I like the newer mockup with the edd07's suggestion. It's like the best of OSX and Windows/GNOME.

If you do plan on making this a reality you'll need to use a different font that Helvetica Neue. I think using a commercial font would ruin its chance of being widely adopted.

cespinal
August 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
great job... the search bar for me is a great idea!

mattchesters
August 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
If you do plan on making this a reality you'll need to use a different font that Helvetica Neue. I think using a commercial font would ruin its chance of being widely adopted.
Good point! Hadn't crossed my mind. If anyone knows of any fonts that would suit, post 'em!

the search bar for me is a great idea!
And Unfortunately the hardest to implement, I want to use gnome build in search feature, but I'm not sure how easy that will be. Anyone know of any terminal commands that can trigger gnome's search?

edd07
August 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
More on the spacing idea. I made a crude little mockup (just to illustrate, not nearly as detailed as mattchesters's) I thought something should tie the icon with the open windows (in my mockup, the rounded rectangle) because it may be unclear which windows belongs to which application, especially to people who write right-to-left languages ;-)

etomic13
August 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Like the idea for the multiple open windows but maybe if it was a slide over animation like if I mouse over the firefox icon the other icons would push over and it would display the open windows.

MaxIBoy
August 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I gotta say, that looks really nice. I wouldn't use it personally but it's very cool.

damis648
August 4th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Like the idea for the multiple open windows but maybe if it was a slide over animation like if I mouse over the firefox icon the other icons would push over and it would display the open windows.

I like this idea... +1. OP, I love your idea. Please keep updating it. I would like to see a final release of this in the near future or in a future release of gnome or Ubuntu. ;-)

mattchesters
August 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM

I had thought of like a 'fade over' sort of thing. Like you hover over the icon and it dims the two icons next to it and fades over with the open windows. I didn't bring it up because I thought I would just be making more work for myself.
I really like your idea though, all the icons shift slightly on top of each other and the hovered app would show its open windows in the gap.

More mock-ups coming by (latest) 9pm [GMT] tonight! I am also preparing the initial planning of the theme.

mattchesters
August 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Here the first mock-up of the hover over windows, after etomic13 suggestion.

The idea is that as as you hover your cursor over an open application, the icons next to it will (with motion) move on top of each other, making space for a view of what windows are open. When you move your cursor away the reverse happens and all icon positions are restored.

bobbybobington
August 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
mattchesters, you are an f'ing genius. I think it might be possible to get the panel look under gnome right now, ill see what i can do. Keep up the AWESOME work:guitar:

edd07
August 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Here the first mock-up of the hover over windows, after etomic13 suggestion.

The idea is that as as you hover your cursor over an open application, the icons next to it will (with motion) move on top of each other, making space for a view of what windows are open. When you move your cursor away the reverse happens and all icon positions are restored.
Question. What happens when there are more than two windows open per application?

Perpetual
August 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Looks good! Keep up the work, would love to see it available in some form.

etomic13
August 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
If theres more windows open per an app then you would'nt see all the windows until you hover over it. BTW I like the new mock up a lot

mattchesters
August 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
If theres more windows open per an app then you would'nt see all the windows until you hover over it.
Not quite sure what you mean there. Please describe more. (If any of the attachments are what you mean please say).

Question. What happens when there are more than two windows open per application?

Well I've thought up two options:

Two buttons to scroll across two windows at a time. (Attachment 1)
The extra windows appear over the top of the other windows. (Attachment 2)

I prefer to scroll with buttons, what does everyone else think?

mattchesters
August 4th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Because I'm not current at my Ubuntu computer, I thought I would do something useful.
So instead of making dozens more mock-ups, I started creating the Icons for our weather widget.

There are two attachments below.

Please note: The pictures are transparent, I have made them JPG (for the forum) for file size reasons. And the watermark is there because I don't want these to be cached by Google Images and be all over the internet before they are on the theme.

There are more to come, I'm not very good with making a Sun in photoshop. If anyone can point me to a tutorial for making a Sun?

etomic13
August 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I think the clouds and the rainy clouds look excellent for a weather widget. I like the second attachment better for multiple windows. Discard my last statement I misunderstood his question

edd07
August 5th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Well I've thought up two options:

Two buttons to scroll across two windows at a time. (Attachment 1)
The extra windows appear over the top of the other windows. (Attachment 2)

I prefer to scroll with buttons, what does everyone else think?
Another idea. Maybe they could pop out like a menu? The first two would be just where they are in your mockup, the rest would be on top of them. That way it can grow to the height of your monitor. I think the scroll buttons would get a little tedious for programs that use a lot of windows. And the window titles of the third and fourth windows of the second attachment are difficult to read.

Swarms
August 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I think it looks brilliant, and buttons are the solution. Instead of the one you have made I thought of two scroll buttons. Grey arrows that go up and down. If there are more windows than to show, the bottom one would be white and the top one would be grey which again would be white if its possible to scroll up. The buttons can be toggled by clicks by the mouse, by the scroll button or arrows on the keyboard.

I got no skills with gimp, so just made an awful demo of what I mean, I know you got the skills to implement it elegantly. See attachment.

Edit: looking at the picture, I think the arrows should be smaller, somewhat the same height as the text next to them.

Edit again: the colour of the arrows should be different grades of opacity, would fit the UI very well!

ElSlunko
August 5th, 2008, 01:14 AM
This mock-up looks amazing! Definately one of my more favorite II mock-ups.

mattchesters
August 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Another idea. Maybe they could pop out like a menu? The first two would be just where they are in your mockup, the rest would be on top of them. That way it can grow to the height of your monitor. I think the scroll buttons would get a little tedious for programs that use a lot of windows. And the window titles of the third and fourth windows of the second attachment are difficult to read.

I did think of a pop up menu but I thought it wouldn't be unique enough, but I've decided that it should be on how easy it is to use, not on how unique it is. I can understand what you mean about the buttons. And they are really hard to read, I was in such a rush to get them out that I didn't spend enough time sorting out the transparency.

ACMiller
August 5th, 2008, 02:32 PM
This is amazing! I love the idea of a bottom panel that combines panel applets and some sort of dock (ish), but with more information and visibility than a traditional dock.

This is one of the most original and realistic ideas.
Good work you genius!

SphereCat1
August 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
This is really a brilliant idea, and an awesome design to match! I really hope you can make this into a real theme. I've included a sun that you can use if you like, I'm not sure if it'll match the rest or not.

http://spherecat1.googlepages.com/sun.png

eluminx
August 6th, 2008, 02:44 AM
This mockup looks pretty awesome, but it would be nice to see what the mockup of nautilus would be like. While you can get the transparency in the panels currently, is there anyway to get the icons bigger in the window list panel? Keep up the great work, like everyone else has said, the mockup is just awesome.

mattchesters
August 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
... is there anyway to get the icons bigger in the window list panel?
I'm not totally sure what you mean:
Making the panel bigger is possible, if thats what you mean.
And if your talking about our objects/widgets/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, my plan is to create one, this is the hardest part of the whole design.

molom
August 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
It is a good idea to post this on gnome-look for the topaz section, but for an ubuntu theme, this isn't going to happen unless gnome inherits it, this is a complete UI overhaul, not a theme. Its great thought, I really like the concept.

Cheers,
molom

mattchesters
August 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
It is a good idea to post this on gnome-look for the topaz section, but for an ubuntu theme, this isn't going to happen unless gnome inherits it, this is a complete UI overhaul, not a theme.

Thank you for pointing me to Topaz, once I get the whole mock-up up-to-date then I may consider it. This is a very complex user interface; I don't like calling it a theme, its more of a modification. I am trying the best I can to get it to look as close to the mock-ups as I can. Development is steady and is having many issues along the way. But development is happening, it may not be perfect but I'm working towards it.
It may come to a point where it is impossible to continue, hopefully it won't come to that.

molom
August 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I will be looking forward to it! Good luck!

bobbybobington
August 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
It is a good idea to post this on gnome-look for the topaz section, but for an ubuntu theme, this isn't going to happen unless gnome inherits it, this is a complete UI overhaul, not a theme. Its great thought, I really like the concept.

Cheers,
molom

I don't think it may be as hard it seems to make this mock-up work. The corners strike me as the hardest part to implement, but all the widget panel needs is to hack some existing panel widgets imo.

btw mattchesters, do you have any window theme ideas?

mattchesters
August 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
...btw mattchesters, do you have any window theme ideas?
eluminx brought up that as well, I sort-of avoided replying. Simply because I have no design concepts for it, yet.
But I wanted it to be a contrast of the desktop, alot lighter. I am currently using Clearlooks-color (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Clearlooks-Colors?content=75417), a fantastic theme, and it looks beautiful with it. Ideally I would use something similar to that. But, for the first release, I may ask perfectska04 (Clearlooks-color creator) if I can distribute it with ours.

mattchesters
August 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have decided on a name...
I wanted it to be relevant to the design.
Apple has Aqua
Microsoft has Aero
KDE has Oxygen

Oh, and us?

Shadows, well maybe not, keep reading below.

Swarms
August 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Sounds great with the progress, might hit up an launchpad page? About the name, how about the synonym Umbra (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/umbra) or Penumbra (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Penumbra)? Which is a slightly different thing but still fits great with the theme. :)

Edit: bold are links.

mattchesters
August 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sounds great with the progress, might hit up an launchpad page? About the name, how about the synonym Umbra (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/umbra) or Penumbra (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Penumbra)? Which is a slightly different thing but still fits great with the theme. :)

Edit: bold are links.

I just fell in love with the name Umbra.
What does everyone else think?

Oh and yeah I'll get the launchpad up now.

Swarms
August 6th, 2008, 08:45 PM
About helping, I can't code, you seem clearly covered in the artistic part, but I can do the danish translation for you. Since the project is one I believe in. :)

mattchesters
August 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
About helping, I can't code, you seem clearly covered in the artistic part, but I can do the danish translation for you. Since the project is one I believe in. :)

Thank you for your support, I can't wait to see what we can do with this project!

mitza
August 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
i really like the name Umbra and the mockup is just awesome ! i'm really looking forward to using it... maybe in ubuntu 8.10 or 9.4 as a default :D
But i have something else to say, i think that you shouldn't use buttons to scroll the open aplication windows because it would take to long to get to you'r window, instead you could put the open windows over the rest of the widgets like you sugested in a mockup before.
That said i wish you the best of luck with this project!

OutOfReach
August 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
What language are you planning to write this in (Coding wise)? I can probably help with the coding (I only know Python, but I am still learning), and a Spanish translation (if needed).

mattchesters
August 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
What language are you planning to write this in (Coding wise)? I can probably help with the coding (I only know Python, but I am still learning), and a Spanish translation (if needed).

Thank you for supporting the project!
The whole theme is just a modification of the panels. I'm fine with writing the theme files,
but I do need help with the applets. The problem is I believe these are written in C.
But if you do still feel like having a go I have provided some links to help:
http://www.gtk.org/
http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/unstable/panel-applets.html.en
http://library.gnome.org/devel/panel-applet/stable/
http://www.gnome.org/projects/ORBit2/appletstutorial.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6517

I hope these help! I'll will add as I stumble upon them. Also: I believe there is a way to write panel applets in Python but I'm not sure.

Thank you.
---------------------------------
An up-to-date mock-up is on its way, with some new features!

mattchesters
August 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
As promised in my previous post, the new mockup.

mattchesters
August 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
The Launchpad is up! I need some confirmation on coders and translators.

https://launchpad.net/umbragui (https://launchpad.net/umbragui)

Joe_Bishop
August 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think this can be done in current state of gtk.
It looks nice, although :)

stinger30au
August 8th, 2008, 10:46 PM
As promised in my previous post, the new mockup.

looks great. keep up the good work

!nkubus
August 9th, 2008, 03:45 AM
This is wonderful. I hope that this can become the mainstream gui in ubuntu or gnome.

I love the mockup with tasks next to the icons.

I see a little problem with the last mockup though, if tasks are next to the icons and then when we hover the icons they become from left to right at the top of the icon, I can see some usability issues there you should make them from top to bottom in a list like this ugly mockup of mine.

You display 2 task, with the number of tasks over the icons (if higher than 2).
Then when you move the mouse over the icon or on one of the 2 tasks a popoup shows (yes like windows or grouping in gnome)

Keep up your great work.

Vitamin-Carrot
August 9th, 2008, 11:29 PM
This looks like something that should after being tested and published be implemented into its own distro
umbuntu

great eye candy i cant wait for it to be available

raffster88
August 10th, 2008, 12:28 AM
First things first, this is great, I can't wait to get my hands on it. You are really moving in the right direction.

So often a mockup like this is presented with usability in mind with a sexy design and it is shot down for copying off of mac or vista, but you have put something together that is sexy and incredibly usable, and unique.

The newest mock up is probably the best. For people concerned with screen space they can disable the bottom bar and have a simple clean spacious layout, that is still pretty sexy. But for power users who often have screen space to spare as I do, they can afford the extra bar, with great usability!

Any sort of time line for the project?

I wish I could help with the project, but my expertise is in Web Development. If you want to create a bar to interact with a custom web service, Let me know.

SphereCat1
August 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Hi again! This has gotten even more genius since I was here last. Hmmmm, this could be competition for my new window manager...

But seriously, if you need any help just ask!

SphereCat1

Swarms
August 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi again! This has gotten even more genius since I was here last. Hmmmm, this could be competition for my new window manager...

But seriously, if you need any help just ask!

SphereCat1

Mattchester is currently looking for developers, so you should try to write him an message. :)

Traldan
August 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Wow, that looks amazing. I'd use it!

August 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
This is a good idea I too am working on a similar idea (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=887767).
Mine has a broder scope though.
Maybe a little colabrition is in order. :lolflag:

jacobmh
August 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I believe we could juryrig something like this using panel backgrounds and maybe a screenlet for the bottom weather/launcher panel. It wouldn't be a gnome mod, but it would look exactly like it...

OZFive
August 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Any news or progress about this? I am very interested in it and would love to see it happen one day.

Nitrolinken
August 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM
The Launchpad is up! I need some confirmation on coders and translators.

https://launchpad.net/umbragui (https://launchpad.net/umbragui)
If the project ever reaches a state where a translation would be needed, (sorry, but most mock-ups are just that - mock-ups) then I'd love to help.
I can't do coding, but sure heck, I'll help with translating.

srozzman
August 20th, 2008, 03:19 AM
in the spirit of this project, i have done my best to recreate this with availble resources. enjoy

Doji
August 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I gave creating this a stab, but for usability reasons I definitely do not recommend it as the default. The panels on the bottom take up a lot of screen real-estate, and you can't make them auto-hide because there are two bars there. Even if you could, I think the current layout is so much more usable than an auto hide bar that it's not worth changing.

I didn't spend much time on it either, so it's definitely not pixel perfect, but here it is.

adam_kimber
August 20th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I actually quite like it. Looks modern, slick and professional. Wouldn't mind this to be made in a 'real' desktop :KS

I agree! This looks totally awesome!

ShinjiLeery
August 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM
love this mockups... They are the best i have seen for the next release. Keep the good work! :D

KhaaL
August 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
this is just the thing that ubuntu misses when it comes to sexy eyecandy. Great job!

Merk42
August 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
The GUI seems to be going into the direction of taking up even more screen real estate. Why not put the menu bar and time down at the bottom and completely eliminate the need for a top bar?

Swarms
August 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The GUI seems to be going into the direction of taking up even more screen real estate. Why not put the menu bar and time down at the bottom and completely eliminate the need for a top bar?
Try to draw what you mean, I can't imagine how it would work clearly.

smartboyathome
August 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I can't help but think that the bottom most bar is wasting space. Perhaps if it autohid when you weren't hovering over it, that would be better.

Merk42
August 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Try to draw what you mean, I can't imagine how it would work clearly.
Like this:
Though in general it seems smartboyathome is mirroring my comment how it's wasting a lot of space. It wants to put too much up front at your fingertips and leaves less room for applications.

ShinjiLeery
August 25th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hmmm, I think that eliminate the top bar change too much what Gnome is. It's like a signature, a difference from KDE ;)

Crafty Kisses
August 25th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I wish it could be a little lighter.

ShinjiLeery
August 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I think that it's better to show these mockups to the ubuntu art team guys. I read that the deadline for the Intrepid new theme is 25th of September.

Thantos3000
September 29th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Any news on the progress of this?

theDaveTheRave
September 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
This looks like a really nice GUI.

I look forward to you having success in producing the fully fledged front end.

I've been flip flopping between the gnome and xfce desktops for a while now, and there are things I like about both of them, and things I miss from one when I go to the other, but generally if you can maintiain the functionality you are going to be onto a winner either way.

One function that would be a nice option is the activity of the mouse buttons being customiserable... eg in xfce you can do a right mouse click to get the menu's, I haven't yet found a way of emulating this in gnome (it could be I'm just missing something, or being silly!).

As I use my laptop a lot, with a USB mouse plugged in the side, what would be really cool would be to give functionality to the various buttons indepentanly of each other.... I have no idea of where to start on this though.

In fact shortcuts in general would be cool, especially as I currently live and work in france with both a "qwerty" keyboard and access to french style "azerty" keyboards.

Either way, keep up the work the desktop looks good from here. I gues you'll retain the "autohide" type functionality etc?

Dave

WiegrafFolles
September 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
This looks very cool, I'm much in favour of keeping the bar at the top, for some reason the two bars are one of the parts of GNOME that are intuitive and just make sense to me. Anyhow if you're looking for a Japanese translation in the future let me know. It's my third language but I work as a translator if that's any assurance of quality.

-WiegrafFolles

aschwerin.moses
September 30th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ive been using a similar one lately... let me know how this looks...

Vitamin-Carrot
September 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
That looks cool.

Care to share?

Firm18
October 1st, 2008, 12:27 AM
Here is a little modification to what ypu did guys (you are incredible! AMAZING!).

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6549/ubuntuideahovermk5.jpg

Also you see a little arrow under the windows opened in Firefox? Well when there is more of them you can scroll by this button for the next one, and the next one and so and so. When you get to the third one, another arrow appears over them.

The moving widgets - for instance let's take the weather. Imagine it's raining instead of having a picture of a cloud with water drops it would move. The rain drops would keep on falling. This would be just a bonus and it would be possible to turn it off.

aschwerin.moses
October 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
That looks cool.

Care to share?
sure.. what do u want...

GTK
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Mira?content=89831
or
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Neutronium+DeepBlack?content=54166

Emerald (i changed it a bit.. its my theme :D )
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Frosty+Glass?content=87749

anything else..??

Thantos3000
October 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Have you actually produced this for your ubuntu? if so could you post it/explain how to do this?

Here is a little modification to what ypu did guys (you are incredible! AMAZING!).

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6549/ubuntuideahovermk5.jpg

Also you see a little arrow under the windows opened in Firefox? Well when there is more of them you can scroll by this button for the next one, and the next one and so and so. When you get to the third one, another arrow appears over them.

The moving widgets - for instance let's take the weather. Imagine it's raining instead of having a picture of a cloud with water drops it would move. The rain drops would keep on falling. This would be just a bonus and it would be possible to turn it off.

Prefix100
October 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
This really does look fantastic.

Push for this in the next Ubuntu release, it looks better than Mac, which was meant to be our mission for Interpid, but that didn't work out.

I would really like to see this in a official release, I think it is really really nice.

Firm18
October 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
No, no it's not my ubuntu and I just used what someone already poste don the previous pages. I just modifieded it a bit.

Thantos3000
October 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Its a shame it looks like the original person involved has given up.. no news since Aug 8...

Firm18
October 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
This is sth I got right now, at the bottom you could add widgets I guess, it would at least look similar.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2294/zrzutekranuau1.png

MadsRH
October 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I would love to see gnome be inspired by something like the image below: (OSX & XP)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2925258656_18ecb31eee_b.jpg

mattchesters
January 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hello all,

I am so sorry for disappering before completing the project.
When I started I was inbetween jobs.

But now I'm working full time I haven't found the time to do this.

It's a shame Microsoft got to make it before I did (Windows 7) ;)

Achetar
January 23rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
I've been a bit bored this weekend and decided to do a little mock-up of a theme I may create.
I was trying to think of a slightly more modern looking gnome.

The bottom bar is meant for widgets like weather ect..
and lists of open windows and favorite applications.
The white glow shows open/current windows, the red glow is windows that require your attention.

What I love is that the whole thing works around your wallpaper. (I may post more pictures of other wallpapers)

Please tell me what you think.

Wallpaper : Exos link (http://ipholio.deviantart.com/art/Exos-Wallpaper-Pack-49328794)

EDIT: Newer mockup added for those who are not following the thread (Attachment 2).

Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/umbragui)
I personally didn't like the first screen, but the 2nd was awesome!

alex.rayu
January 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
These designs do look professional. Even though I am not a fan of back themes. These would require a huge shift of aparadigm of Gnome interface though. I don't think Gnome will do that. Some of them look like KDE. KDE has definitely taken after Vista. I vote for Gnome to take after Mac! =)

Merk42
January 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
These designs do look professional. Even though I am not a fan of back themes. These would require a huge shift of aparadigm of Gnome interface though. I don't think Gnome will do that. Some of them look like KDE. KDE has definitely taken after Vista. I vote for Gnome to take after Mac! =)

Which would still involve "a huge shift of a paradigm" so obviously that's not happening.

I honestly wish I could travel back in time and stop GNOME from splitting from KDE. Not that I hate GNOME or KDE, I just think so much more would get done if more people were working towards a common goal. (Like the reunion of Compiz and Beryl)

AlexBellisBrown
January 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Why does everything seem to be going into a KDE look nowadays? I noticed the first 2 images by the OP looked very KDE-like (Im not saying its deliberate, and hell, i prefer it to Gnome very much!) But has anyone else noticed or is it just me? This doesnt seem like a "newer gnome" but only a different looking KDE.... Perhaps its just me. Flame me in 3...2....1...

Swarms
January 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Why does everything seem to be going into a KDE look nowadays? I noticed the first 2 images by the OP looked very KDE-like (Im not saying its deliberate, and hell, i prefer it to Gnome very much!) But has anyone else noticed or is it just me? This doesnt seem like a "newer gnome" but only a different looking KDE.... Perhaps its just me. Flame me in 3...2....1...

Maybe you are just confusing the terms modern and KDE?

But yeah the concept got perfected in Windows 7 sadly.

smartboyathome
January 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Which would still involve "a huge shift of a paradigm" so obviously that's not happening.

I honestly wish I could travel back in time and stop GNOME from splitting from KDE. Not that I hate GNOME or KDE, I just think so much more would get done if more people were working towards a common goal. (Like the reunion of Compiz and Beryl)

And then, because the KDE team tries to include every option under the sun, Linux would have died, as it would have been hard to use. :(

Merk42
January 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
And then, because the KDE team tries to include every option under the sun, Linux would have died, as it would have been hard to use. :(

If that's true, then KDE itself would be dead, which it isn't.

Also if KDE and GNOME were together, there could be a nice middle ground between "every option under the sun" and "no options the user might break it".

As far a themes and GNOME/KDE go, I wish Ubuntu and Kubuntu (and I guess Xubuntu as well) had a similar theme across the three distributions.

smartboyathome
January 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM
If that's true, then KDE itself would be dead, which it isn't.

Also if KDE and GNOME were together, there could be a nice middle ground between "every option under the sun" and "no options the user might break it".

As far a themes and GNOME/KDE go, I wish Ubuntu and Kubuntu (and I guess Xubuntu as well) had a similar theme across the three distributions.

GNOME and KDE have different philosophies though. GNOME takes KISS to the extreme, while KDE likes options over easiness.

butlins
January 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM
tbh it looks like kde4

Merk42
January 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
tbh it looks like kde4

What about it looks like KDE4?

GNOME and KDE have different philosophies though. GNOME takes KISS to the extreme, while KDE likes options over easiness.

Which is why I said the union of the two, KNODE as I'll call it, would be a middle ground. Maybe the basics of GNOME with an "Advanced..." button that opens up the features of KDE, but of course, that's all a pipe dream that won't happen.

Achetar
January 26th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Maybe I'll just move back to ion for now...