PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adobe Flash Player 9.0 Firefox Sound Problem

mikeMarek
August 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I installed Adobe Flash Player 9.0 for Firefox. The video pops up, but even though I know for a fact that there is sound in the video, it doesn't play. Banshee works fine and other sound plays, but not for SWF files in Firefox. Any help?

Thanks for any replies and help,
-Mike

gobble
August 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Been using flash player 10 for a while without problems.

want to check that out?

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Do other media files play with audio? Did you try only a local file or some embedded flash videos on the Internet?

How about the youTube and Metacafe videos?

Cheers

jualin
August 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
I installed Adobe Flash Player 9.0 for Firefox. The video pops up, but even though I know for a fact that there is sound in the video, it doesn't play. Banshee works fine and other sound plays, but not for SWF files in Firefox. Any help?

Thanks for any replies and help,
-Mike

Are you trying to run Banshee and Firefox at the same time. You will lose sound if you do that unless you change the output plugin in Banshee. I had the same problem with Audacity and now it works. You need to restart Firefox after you close Banshee since just closing Banshee once Firefox can't open the audio device doesn't do the trick.

mikeMarek
August 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Jualin, I'll try that.

Gobble, that is where I was testing to see if Flash player worked: Youtube. Youtube videos wouldn't play sound.

jualin
August 3rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Try running Firefox first with no other Media player open and check if you have sound. If you still don't have sound then it may be a problem with flash and not a problem with applications conflicting when using the same sound device. Good luck!

lokutus25
August 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
I have the same problem, using the flashplugin-nonfree plugin from medibuntu. I think it's a problem with PulseAudio. Checking...

habtool
August 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have the same problem, using the flashplugin-nonfree plugin from medibuntu. I think it's a problem with PulseAudio. Checking...

This may be off track, but Hardy with Pulse-audio when using skype amarok etc loosing sound when one source 'steals' it is a real pain.
Its OK for the casual PC user, but if you on your machine full time then it gets old very fast
(It is also a mess in Mint 5, so flash beta 10 is not only answer, as skype amarok etc still have issues)
I am sure pulse-audio will rock one day, but until that day I moved over to Debian testing/lenny Gnome and sidux for when i feel like KDE

(Kubuntu would work fine as they did not get caught up in the whole pulse-audio fiasco as far as i recall)

Love Ubuntu, but sitting this release out, that's the beauty of Linux, we are spoilt for choices :)

lokutus25
August 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I removed the flashplugin-nonfree (Adobe Flash Player 9) and installed the flash player 10. Seems to works for me. But yes habtool, you are right, I'll consider Kubuntu :-) Thanx

mikeMarek
August 5th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I removed Flash Player 9 and install 10, but still don't have any sound. Any help with this?

Most appreciative for your help,
-Mike

jualin
August 5th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Maybe changing the sound engine from PulseAudio to Alsa will make the trick for you. Go to System, Preferences, Sounds. And then change everything from "AutoDetect" to "ALSA". Restart Firefox with no music player open and then try to watch a flash video with sound. Hope this works!

mikeMarek
August 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Maybe changing the sound engine from PulseAudio to Alsa will make the trick for you. Go to System, Preferences, Sounds. And then change everything from "AutoDetect" to "ALSA". Restart Firefox with no music player open and then try to watch a flash video with sound. Hope this works!

Still nothing. Thanks for all your help though!
-Mike

jualin
August 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I am sorry to hear that I have run out of ideas so far. Maybe someone else in the forum might help you further. Something that might help is starting Firefox using the terminal by typing "firefox" and then trying to play a flash video and post the results of everything that is reported in the terminal. Maybe Firefox will tell you what's wrong such as "Audio Device being used by another application" or something similar. Good luck!

arthur_bear
August 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Still nothing. Thanks for all your help though!
-Mike

Try running "killall pulseaudio" (be sure that no sound is playing cause it can hang) after changing the settings to ALSA, before starting firefox. If that doesn't work change the settings back (autodetect) and install libflashsupport (it's a bit buggy sometimes but it works for me with pulseaudio). If all that fails see "ALSA Configuration" in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio.