PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there anything better than Rhythmbox?

Neil_The_Newbie
August 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
I am using rhythmbox for playing audio. I was wondering if this is the norm or there is any other software that is more popular/better?

powerpleb
August 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
It's all a matter of preference...

Some people prefer Amarok
It runs better with KDE because it uses KDE libraries. You can still install it and use it OK on Gnome but you will need to install extra dependencies
looks a little different, some different features but basically the same

Banshee,
a lot like Rhythmbox bit less features (no visualisation, can't drag in album art etc)

Quod Libet,
very simple, not many features, but lighter and faster

Audacious
a lot like Winamp 2.x if you ever used that

I use Rhythmbox because it's the best compromise of features vs simplicity, has visualization and comes with Ubuntu.

Vakman
August 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I like VLC Media Player. You could try it if you want but it is not very, flashy I guess the word is. Someone above this said Banshee as well, that is also a good media player.

Neil_The_Newbie
August 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
thanks - i think i'll try amarok as the screenshots look pretty good.

powerpleb
August 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
If you use Amarok, configure it to use MySQL (http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_HowTo) otherwise it will be slow as buggery.

I know Amarok uses SQLite or MySQL.
What do Rhythmbox, Banshee and Quod Libet use to store thier music databases? They seem a lot faster than Amarok using SQLite.

Caraibes
August 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I use Rhythmbox whenever I am with Gnome (using Ubuntu, Debian or other...) (that is most of the time !).

I believe Rhythmbox is the best media player for Gnome.

On my Arch instal, I have only Fluxbox and I use Exaile... It is almost as good as Rhythmbox, and it doesn't need any Gnome dependencies for lightweight installs...

Otherwise, I enjoyed XMMS in the past, but since it is almost gone now, Audacious is ok to work with... I always have it installed alongside Rhythmbox...

Amarok might be great, but it's KDE, and I am not yet sold to the KDE vibes... Maybe some day, but not yet... Too used to Gtk or Gnome...

pauper
August 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
cmus.

:guitar:

powerpleb
August 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Amarok might be great, but it's KDE, and I am not yet sold to the KDE vibes... Maybe some day, but not yet... Too used to Gtk or Gnome...

I second that. KDE and it's apps (particularly Amarok) has always seemed a little crashy to me. Gnome may be more basic but it seems a lot more stable.

Sithun
October 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hey guys. I started using gutsy a few weeks ago, since ive always wanted to try a linux dist. I have had a few problems, so far im not entirely satisfied having an ATI card w/ ubuntu. :p

To the point thou. Rythmbox doesnt work entirely as i want it to. i want a program that can repeat a single track from a playlist, as winamp does. Adding a list of files to the playlist doesnt repeat them, but it goes throu them untill the last file, and repeats that one. :(

Shortly, i want a program that works like a charm. What should i get?

Thanks alot!

RedRat
October 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I use Amarok and it is sorta OK under Gnome. I am now using Songbird and it seems OK also. It all depends on what your tastes are in regard to a GUI. I listen to Shoutcast Internet Radio and Songbird is a tad better than Amarok except that you can't seem to bookmark specific internet radio stations. In the end, I think its a push between the two of them.