PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Convert avi to divX

rootk1t
August 3rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Is there a utility?

Thank you.

kostkon
August 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Could you be more specific about the formats?

I mean avi is just a container format and thus your avi file may be already encoded in the divx format.

kahlil88
August 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
I think if you install mencoder and xvid, you should be able to encode things as XviD (which is essentially an open-source DivX).

rootk1t
August 3rd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Ok, here's the thing.

I've got this home cinema: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/100/42/DCS-370/index.html

And it sais it can play DivX. If I insert a avi file, it does not recognize that file, and I cannot understand why???:confused::confused::confused:

eye208
August 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
To find out the format of your AVI file, open it in Ubuntu's default video player, then display the file properties in the sidebar. This will tell you which codecs have been used for the file. A typical Xvid file may look like this:

Video

Dimensions: 640 x 480
Codec: XVID MPEG-4
Framerate: 24 frames per second
Bitrate: N/A

Audio

Codec: MPEG 1 Audio, Layer 3 (MP3)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 128 kbps

Some AVI files contain audio in AC-3 format instead of MP3. This may or may not be supported by your home cinema system. Or the video stream may be H.264 instead of Xvid. If the AVI uses a codec that is not supported by the home cinema system, you can use Avidemux or MEncoder to change the format to something compatible.

It really depends on the capabilities of the home cinema system. Linux video players can play pretty much everything, which may be a blessing or a curse, depending on your point of view. ;)