PDA

View Full Version : So I apologize

panickedthumb
November 9th, 2005, 05:25 AM
I was wrong.

KDE is pretty slick. I've been using it for a couple of days. It's still not my preference, but it's nice. Kubuntu specifically. Its easily the best KDE implementation out there.

I'm going to keep tinkering with it til I feel like I've learned it, then move on. I'm taking a tour ;) But some things still stand. Kontact/Kmail, etc, don't do it for me. I much prefer Evolution or Thunderbird. Gaim is still far better than Kopete, but Kopete is coming along nicely. And Konqueror has gotten much better, but I still don't like it ;)

I can't figure out simple things like how to make double-click open files instead of single click, but that may just be learning curve.

Now, if we could just get rid of that dragon...

Long story short: Rock on.

aysiu
November 9th, 2005, 05:34 AM
KDE is pretty slick. I've been using it for a couple of days. It's still not my preference, but it's nice. Kubuntu specifically. Its easily the best KDE implementation out there. Except the annoying hover-over text that comes default with it.

I'm going to keep tinkering with it til I feel like I've learned it, then move on. I'm taking a tour ;) But some things still stand. Kontact/Kmail, etc, don't do it for me. I much prefer Evolution or Thunderbird. Can't you use Thunderbird in KDE? I realize it's more of a Gtk app, but it's still not Gnome native (unlike Evolution).

I can't figure out simple things like how to make double-click open files instead of single click, but that may just be learning curve. It's in the System Settings under "Mouse."

Long story short: Rock on. I think it's in /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/pics--something like that. I replaced it with a picture of my cat...

panickedthumb
November 9th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Except the annoying hover-over text that comes default with it.
easy enough to turn off

Can't you use Thunderbird in KDE? I realize it's more of a Gtk app, but it's still not Gnome native (unlike Evolution).
Evolution actually looks better because it's a GTK app. You can control how GTK apps show up in KDE, but Firefox and Thunderbird not so much.

It's in the System Settings under "Mouse."
Oh. I'm used to that setting being in some sort of desktop or file manager configuration. Thanks, that alleviates a lot of frustration.

I think it's in /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/pics--something like that. I replaced it with a picture of my cat...
Yeah he's already gone. ;)

bored2k
November 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM
I can't figure out simple things like how to make double-click open files instead of single click, but that may just be learning curve.
I have been using one click on Gnome/KDE for a while now. I prefer it.

panickedthumb
November 9th, 2005, 06:14 AM
I have been using one click on Gnome/KDE for a while now. I prefer it.
I frequently want to click on a file whose filename is too long and trails off with ... so that I can see the full title. Can't do that with single click.

If not for that I think I'd prefer it too

bored2k
November 9th, 2005, 06:22 AM
For that I click on the window and scroll with the keyboard. Not cool, but works. One thing that really blows is the fact that I can't click on a file to see it's size, so I constantly see myself going to list view for that. And list view is even worst as you can't even select from a rectangle (there isn't an empty space to start on).

panickedthumb
November 9th, 2005, 06:24 AM
oh I use list view (or I guess details view) everywhere except the desktop. The desktop is where the problems come from.

yabbadabbadont
November 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Install a gtk theme engine and your desired gtk theme. Then install a gtk theme changer and select that theme. I think Firefox and Thunderbird will respect that setting then. I know it will in Gentoo, but I'm not sure in Ubuntu.

I just had a quick look in Synaptic, gtk-theme-switch along with an engine and theme should do the trick.

nrwilk
November 9th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Where is this dragon? Why don't I have it? I <3 Dragons. :D

NeoChaosX
November 9th, 2005, 06:59 AM
I tried Kubuntu in the last couple days, as well. My only problem was that Firefox's font size rendering always seemed off; some sites would render part of their fonts too small, and others too big. Since I'm a huge Firefox fan, I decided to stick with regular Ubuntu.

panickedthumb
November 9th, 2005, 07:01 AM
It's in the shutdown/logoff dialog and some about dialogs I think.

aysiu
November 9th, 2005, 07:26 AM
I frequently want to click on a file whose filename is too long and trails off with ... so that I can see the full title. Can't do that with single click. Yeah, I'm a little torn on the single-click. On the one hand, it saves you that extra step--most of the time, I click on files to open them or programs to start them. It is annoying to have to control-click a file just to rename it or see the name (and stop yourself from accidentally opening it).

bored2k
November 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM
That is true, but now that I'm used to it, double clicking on Windows really feels like a hassle. At least the details view kinda works as a hybrid when set to 2click mode (2click on the folder icon, yet once click on the little button on the left).

artnay
November 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I frequently want to click on a file whose filename is too long and trails off with ... so that I can see the full title. Can't do that with single click.

You could always move the cursor over an icon and wait a bit. You should be able to see some basic information, so no clicking needed. Anyways, scrolling is much more fun.

poofyhairguy
November 9th, 2005, 07:50 AM
I was wrong.

KDE is pretty slick. I've been using it for a couple of days. It's still not my preference, but it's nice. Kubuntu specifically. Its easily the best KDE implementation out there.

I have been saving KDE for later in life. I know that one day I will get tired of looking at Gnome eventually and on that day I will switch to KDE. It took me a year to get tired of XP, I will probably be tired of Gnome next year around this time unless something magical like Luminocity comes down the pipe.

I started on KDE but it did not entice me as much at first. Now I realize is that I dislike all the popular KDE themes. When I switch I hope there is something better than Krystal or Keramic by then....

bionnaki
November 9th, 2005, 08:37 AM
You could always move the cursor over an icon and wait a bit. You should be able to see some basic information, so no clicking needed. Anyways, scrolling is much more fun.

I use single click.
for viewing file-size, I simply enable sizes
to always be visible via nautilus preferences.

benplaut
November 9th, 2005, 09:10 AM
i used to love KDE, but eventually i took Gnome with a grain of salt, and now really enjoy it... it's about as customizable as KDE, when you get down and dirty :D

nocturn
November 9th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I had been using KDE since version 1 (which was a revolution after fvwm95).
The last version I used was 3.3 I think. I have always liked it (it certainly has more eyecandy then Gnome), but in the end I realised that I was using FireFox, Gaim, Evolution and a couple of other GTK apps, so it was reasonable to try using Gnome.

Which led me to Ubuntu (Warty). Basicly I loved Gnome and I stuck with it since. There are some things I miss about KDE though (transparent menus, and now they even have a built-in compmanager)...

nocturn
November 9th, 2005, 09:18 AM
It's in the shutdown/logoff dialog and some about dialogs I think.

You can disable this in the control panel I think (not sure)

artnay
November 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I use single click.
for viewing file-size, I simply enable sizes
to always be visible via nautilus preferences.

Well this depends how one wants to view the file structure. If one uses icon view, the method I mentioned does the trick. But when there's lots of files and one needs to know the exact file size, icon view isn't the best option available. Luckily it can be easily changed and turned back to icon view. There's also Krusader (http://www.krusader.org/) available, it's like ol' good MC.

Wolki
November 9th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Yeah, that's a problem with single-click. Three ways to work around it:
1) crtl-click. Will only select and thus show all the information.
2) rubberbanding. Will not work in list view though.
3) double right click. Works fine, but the movement is a bit unusual.

asimon
November 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, that's a problem with single-click. Three ways to work around it:
1) crtl-click. Will only select and thus show all the information.
2) rubberbanding. Will not work in list view though.
3) double right click. Works fine, but the movement is a bit unusual.
4) just move the pointer above the icon, the full text will appear (among other data) in the tooltip.

mephisto786
November 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Hey folks, that lil note at the top that tells me I havent posted before made me guilty enough to post .... opposite story here. After mucking around with trying to get kubuntu tuned to my satisfaction, i found an old warty and got it running on my laptop. As a hardcore KDE junkie, and till lately a gnome hater, Ive been pleasantly surprised in the last couple of days...once you get used to it. My motives are purely selfish since i think you cut yourself out of half the loop if you just stick to the same nix packages and services. Id like to be comfortable in both gui s. The old sudo and root account bug in kubuntu hoary drove me round the bend, as does trying to reinstall ubuntu of any flavor on a dual boot with Mepis without grub booting into grub back into grub. So its gnome on ubuntu for a bit.

Two issues , somewhat related come up. One, is it easy to update my warty to hoary or breezy AND add on the KDE option so I can choose? All the sites and posts I checked varied as to success and crash rate but it was overall positive. I ask, since where I live, internet access is not always an option so i dont want to be stuck into hardcore download dependency and have already loaded the latest sarge cd into my repo so I can try to get packages from my sarge dvd in case Im net-less. ( Is that wrong, hehe?) Seriously, i will be browsing around for more answers but would appreciate feedback on bringing this distro relatively up to date and running kde and gnome.

Its been a busy week, with getting Sarge up and running on the desktop and coming back to Ubuntu. I just kept feeling there was something so damn cool about the whole ubuntu ethic and I should really get involved. Like Debian and some others , freedom is always a good word. And I still have my doubts about the future and GPL validity of the whole mepis thing ....

Viva la Debian, vive ubuntu!

kleeman
November 9th, 2005, 02:54 PM
A few good things about kde:

kdenetworking seems more mature than the gnome equivalent. In konq or
kate just put in sftp://user@host:/directory and everything works smoothly on a remote ssh server. There is much more "mucking around" under gnome to get the equivalent things working.

krusader makes transferring files from a remote host a breeze. You can also do synching which is useful.

filelight: excellent graphic disk space analyser.

Pretty lyx-qt: Standard gnome makes this clunky. Install kubuntu as well and it looks MUCH better.

kprinter: More feature rich printer installer than the gome equivalent.

I prefer the gnome look however so run the above apps from gnome and they look fine providing you adjust your kde session.

joflow
November 9th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I hate KDE...its overwhelming. So many options, if you really want to customize it you'll spend hours trying to hunt down all the config panels if you're not used to it.

Plus, Kubuntu didn't work too great for me. The resolution defaulted to like 2048x (way too big) so when I changed it to 1600x the font sizes were huge which made everything look like crap.

Firefox looked like crap. I tried to change the settings for GTK apps in the panel to use KDE's theme but it didn't seem to work.

I wanted to recreate the mac os look and none of the bars were in the repo. The debian deb didn't work.

The only thing I like about KDE is SuperKaramba which is light years better then gDesklets and has more and better designed widgets. I also liked Baghira which is the best linux implementation of Mac OS X style windows/borders.

I also think Amarok is the best music player on any platform..didn't work too great in enlightenment 17 + gnome but works great in gnome + metacity. So no need for KDE there.

lotusleaf
November 10th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I like KDE. I try out Gnome now and then but I always come back to KDE. Aside from KDE, Fluxbox is tasty.

TecnoVM64
November 10th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I always liked KDE and how all the apps are integrated (it's something that makes it more user-friendly), I used to think that gnome looked boring, but it has changed a lot since a few releases ago, now I think it's pretty cool, and yeah I'm using it.

I always hated the fact that every KDE theme you download needs to be compiled, and things like that, but the gnome themes just need to be installed in the theme menu, it's easier and allows me to play with my desktop everyday. But I still think that many KDE apps are amazing like amaroK, Kaffeine and K3B, etc...
:razz:

xequence
November 10th, 2005, 03:44 AM
I have to say - I was too critical of KDE also. Im not going to keep using it all the time, since I switch WMs ALOT, but it will be there incase I feel like it.

Two issues , somewhat related come up. One, is it easy to update my warty to hoary or breezy AND add on the KDE option so I can choose? All the sites and posts I checked varied as to success and crash rate but it was overall positive. I ask, since where I live, internet access is not always an option so i dont want to be stuck into hardcore download dependency and have already loaded the latest sarge cd into my repo so I can try to get packages from my sarge dvd in case Im net-less. ( Is that wrong, hehe?) Seriously, i will be browsing around for more answers but would appreciate feedback on bringing this distro relatively up to date and running kde and gnome.

You can have gnome and kde on the same computer and theyll be fine. I have 6 or more different WMs at the moment.

And you shouldent use the sarge CD on ubntu, or any debian repos. Except for getting the w32codecs, it will mess up your install.

mephisto786
November 10th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Got your advice after messing a bit with the sarge dvd on ubuntu and took it off before i got in a serious mess...thanks. What gets me nervous about adding KDE is when installing kde via synaptic seems to imply uninstalling ubuntu (gnome) desktop. Especially when knynaptic is just a shoddy version of synaptic...but, what the hell, its another install at worst.

Waiting for the latest breezy, i might as well experiment. Strange that I hesitate to remove gnome now .... its got some upsides if you take the time. Which is true of KDE naturally ...just means learning to use it. It is annoying that I have to download a menu editor for gnome (according to the docs) though ....will post successes and failures, heh.

Ciao

mephisto786
November 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM
wheew! ...installed kde base in less than two minutes and now have two, count em, two dm's . Smooth.....

Woot!

mephisto786
November 10th, 2005, 03:51 PM
er, stop the presses .... do not, i repeat, do not add kde-base from hoary to an ubuntu warty install ... at some point, both desk managers broke. Splat.
Don't know if it was just the kde base or when i added to it while running kde.

Theres a reason I call the laptop the hacking machine. I tend to crash it alot doing weird stuff to it ...sigh...

panickedthumb
November 10th, 2005, 04:30 PM
mixing hoary and warty system packages is bad business, unless they've been backported.

adamb10
November 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I'm not a fan of KDE anymore. As with everyone I was when I first got into the Linux scene but now I have matured and am a gnome guy. KDE just has too much stuff on it. Gnome is nice and light. Oh and fast.

mephisto786
November 12th, 2005, 02:09 PM
You are seriously correct Panicked ... I guess there is a less destructive way of learning about the FHS and updates and kernels and guis but I figure I wont get too attached to anything till I get my hands on Breezy. KDE and Gnome exist side by side at the moment if I only install the kde base.... which I DONT RECOMMEND, as Panicked Thumb points out , unless you want to trash your system...

BTW, when everythings up to date (Breezy) is it kde-core that initially adds kde to ubuntu, or the kde base that i just used? Ive read its the core files you add....