PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I get me some wide screen?

Rukaru
August 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
My monitor is full screen (best resolution is 1280x1024) and I'd really like to make it wide screen. I know I could just get a widescreen wallpaper, but it isn't the same with my setup (it'd take too long to explain.

I noticed that the resolution in ubuntu can be set to widescreen, but it always stretches to take up the monitor. Is there a way to avoid this?

Now I've messed with my monitor, and I'm definitely not able to do anything there. So....I guess I'm relying on ubuntu and all you ubuntu experts. Any ideas on how I can get widescreen?

oliviacond
August 2nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
widescreen is depends on the monitor not ubuntu.
your monitor is 5:4, it's not widescreen.

Rukaru
August 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
widescreen is depends on the monitor not ubuntu.
your monitor is 5:4, it's not widescreen.

Well I'm talking about like having black bars on the sides...not just for the desktop but for everything. I know it depends on the monitor, but I'm asking if there is a way to simply not make the screen stretch when you choose a widescreen resolution.

Rukaru
August 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
I've tried doing a lot now and so far, nothing has worked. I don't get why it is so hard for the OS to not make the widescreen resolution stretch....

fatality_uk
August 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Assuming that you have a graphics card that is Linux compatible and that can display at the native resolution of the monitor, then choosing screen resolution option from the System menu should give you the available resolutions.

Joeb454
August 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
I don't think it's possible to have a widescreen resolution without a corresponding widescreen monitor.

fatality_uk
August 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
There isnt really a way to "spoof" a widescreen effect.

philinux
August 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I interested in this as I'm thinking of buying one 22". They are all mainly 16:10 dimension. With a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

strongboww
August 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
I interested in this as I'm thinking of buying one 22". They are all mainly 16:10 dimension. With a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

sitting on a 22" samsung 226bw @1680x1050, works fine

philinux
August 2nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
sitting on a 22" samsung 226bw @1680x1050, works fine

This one is on my list! Did you get the s,a, or c panel. Any backlight bleed.

philinux
August 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
My monitor is full screen (best resolution is 1280x1024) and I'd really like to make it wide screen. I know I could just get a widescreen wallpaper, but it isn't the same with my setup (it'd take too long to explain.

I noticed that the resolution in ubuntu can be set to widescreen, but it always stretches to take up the monitor. Is there a way to avoid this?

Now I've messed with my monitor, and I'm definitely not able to do anything there. So....I guess I'm relying on ubuntu and all you ubuntu experts. Any ideas on how I can get widescreen?

The best resolution is always the native resolution of the monitor?
Whats your's. For instance this laptop I'm on I've set to 1280x800 which is it's native res for widescreen.

strongboww
August 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
This one is on my list! Did you get the s,a, or c panel. Any backlight bleed.
unfortunately im not at home, but i will have a look at it at the weekend, backlight is ok as far as i think, in fact imho it is a very good choice in the TN-panel sector

freak42
August 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
automaticall stretching the image to full screen might be a feature of the monitor.. check the monitor settings if you can turn it off.

hth
matthias

Tatty
August 7th, 2008, 08:08 PM

What resolution is your monitor, and what version of ubuntu are you using?

LowSky
August 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
If your monitor reccomends 1280x1024, its a full screen monitor. and looks like a square. If you support , 1440x900 and it looks like a rectangle then it widescreen. Monitors cant resolutions. When you watch a widescreen movie it doesn't decrease or increase the dpi, it basically zooms out the imgae so that more of that image can be seen on the horizontal plane. Hopefully that makes sense. If you want a widescreen monitor you will need to buy one.