PDA

View Full Version : laptop salvage job: cheap case from ross

sloggerkhan
August 2nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
So mid spring I had my acer laptop start overheating on me. I think what was going on is that due to having a fan intake through the keyboard tray airflow got diminished (having dropped it from about 5' once didn't help its fan system either). However, in the course of taking apart the thing for a good cleaning I pretty much wrecked the keyboard courtesy of a hidden screw, leaving a laptop sans keyboard.

This summer I decided to make my machine functional again and put it into a different case.

So a cheap decorative "suitcase" from Ross, a few bolts and nuts bought to size, and a bit of scraps and screws lying around I now have a functional and weird looking not quite portable laptop.
(The battery life was next to nothing just from age and use so I didn't bother to build it in to the new case.)

Anyhow, pics attached. If I have some time in the future there are still some bits of it that can use some work.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

dje
August 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
So mid spring I had my acer laptop start overheating on me. I think what was going on is that due to having a fan intake through the keyboard tray airflow got diminished (having dropped it from about 5' once didn't help its fan system either). However, in the course of taking apart the thing for a good cleaning I pretty much wrecked the keyboard courtesy of a hidden screw, leaving a laptop sans keyboard.

This summer I decided to make my machine functional again and put it into a different case.

So a cheap decorative "suitcase" from Ross, a few bolts and nuts bought to size, and a bit of scraps and screws lying around I now have a functional and weird looking not quite portable laptop.
(The battery life was next to nothing just from age and use so I didn't bother to build it in to the new case.)

Anyhow, pics attached. If I have some time in the future there are still some bits of it that can use some work.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

right :D

sloggerkhan
August 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
what's that supposed to mean?

dje
August 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
what's that supposed to mean?

supposed to mean "what the h**l" :KS
no really its very imaginative and err different

red_Marvin
August 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Nice, maybe you could find the space to mount a pair of speakers in the lid behind the screen too?

XeiaieX
August 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
i think this is really neat. great work!

era86
August 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Interesting... ;)

rbolio
August 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Well...that takes care of the portability problem!

rudihawk
August 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Thats cool man! Very original.

dperfors
August 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Very nice. I can already hear your conversation with the security at the airport :)

Security: "Do you have a loptop?"
You: "Yes"
Security: "Please take it out of your suitcase."
You: "Sorry, I can't, the suitcase IS my laptop"

stinger30au
August 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
i did something similar a few years ago.
i built a "luggable pc" out of a 15 inch lcd and a power supply, a 12 gig 3.5 inch hdd, a dvd burner and a micro mainboard about the size of oyur palm. the cpu is a celeron 400 with 256 meg of ram and i shoeved it all inside a army wooden ammunition box that i bought from the local dump for just $5

i still have it and it still goes and it run on Ubuntu 7.04