PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] file extension help

steve228
August 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Im new to ubuntu and need help getting a program to work. I have a program I am trying to use as a default when I download a file from the internet. For example, I use Azureus and want to open a torrent with it, but I cannot find it when i search for it. I am used to windows and its executable files (.exe)... What file extension can I look for or how can I get azureus to be the default torrent program through the "open with" dialog?

bks
August 1st, 2008, 10:16 PM
The torrent files themselves should be a *.torrent, I believe.

mikewhatever
August 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Executables in Ubuntu don't really have an extension. If you installed Azureus from Synaptic, the executable should be /usr/bin/azureus. To make sure torrent files get opened with Azureus, right click on a torrent file, Open with tab, and add the above path.

Edit: Double post!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=877339

bks
August 1st, 2008, 10:24 PM
[...]how can I get azureus to be the default torrent program through the "open with" dialog?

I'm not in front of my Ubuntu computer right now, but under System > Preferences there should be a Default Applications (may be called something slightly different) selection. From there you can set all your favorite applications to handle different actions.

kostkon
August 2nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Im new to ubuntu and need help getting a program to work. I have a program I am trying to use as a default when I download a file from the internet. For example, I use Azureus and want to open a torrent with it, but I cannot find it when i search for it. I am used to windows and its executable files (.exe)... What file extension can I look for or how can I get azureus to be the default torrent program through the "open with" dialog?
You right click on the file, go to Properties -> Open With and then select Add. If you don't see the app you want to use in the list, then select Browse and search for the app yourself. Most executables are in the /usr/bin folder.