PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Triple Boot - Ubuntu and Windows suddenly freeze from rEFIt

LiamTreacy
August 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I've searched the forums and I've seen some issues with freezing from rEFIt after a new installation of Ubuntu. But I have a 6 month working triple boot with OS X, Ubuntu Hardy (Upgrade from Gutsy) and Windows XP. I've done nothing significant recently, apart from using them, yet today, after booting directly into Windows and rebooting into OS X I tried to reboot into Ubuntu but from rEFIt it froze on the tux logo.

I tried booting into Windows and that freezes on the rEFIt Windows logo. The only OS I can get to boot from rEFIt is OS X. Strangely, even CDs won't boot from rEFIt without freezing.

Stranger still, I both disabled and removed rEFIt to get the Boot Camp (OS X or Windows) screen, but anything I select from there hangs too, even CDs. The only other thing I got to boot was the Leopard DVD, by holding down 'c' on reboot. I tried this with the Ubuntu install CD but that hung too, so I can't retrieve my (important) files. I'd rather not have to reinstall, so any ideas on a cause or a fix for strange problem would be appreciated.

flaggh
August 2nd, 2008, 01:46 AM
have you tried resyncing your partition tables in the rEFIt partition utility?

LiamTreacy
August 2nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks. This morning, before I switched on the computer, I unplugged the XBox controller from the USB port. I suppose I should have done that before. Problem solved. Close this thread, please. Lock it. Hide it away forever.