PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Passing on text that cannot be copied nor printed

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hello,

How can one pass on text to another person while restricting:
a) being able to print out the text or
b) copy the text (with either Control+A or using the mouse to highlight)?

Here's what we've thought of so far, but with some limitations:
1) We know that putting text into an Adobe Flash file will make it almost impossible to print out and not-copiable (if made a certain way). But this method is only for Flash experts, and we're not.

2) OpenOffice.org writer has "File / Export as PDF..." feature. On the Security Tab, we've selected "No printing" in the "Printing" section and we've made sure that there was No Checkmark on the "Enable copying of content" and No Checkmark for "Enable Text access for accessibilty tools".
Yet it seems that _none_ of these security features work. We can still print the PDF and we can still copy the text.
Please see the PDF we've created with the security features "enabled" and the screenshot of the security tab right before we clicked ok.

We've put the PDF into a tar.gz archive because Ubuntuforums does not allow a pdf being larger than what my pdf is.

If you have any better ideas than what we've thought up, please reply.

Thank you.

scragar
August 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
if I'm understanding you right can't you make the text into an image? it would be many times larger, but your desired effect is there, right?

tamoneya
August 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
if I'm understanding you right can't you make the text into an image? it would be many times larger, but your desired effect is there, right?

images can be printed. Also with OCR getting better all the time it could fairly easily be copied back into plain text.

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Scragar and Tamoneya,
Oh, yes that was supposed to be my 3rd example.
I can make the text into an image, and images are not "text-copiable", but the recipient can still print the image with his printer.

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Is there something wrong with OpenOffice.org's Export to PDF's Security features?
8-(

vikramaditya
August 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
Dude, you've succeeded! I'm totally unable to copy the text in your document. Would try printing, but too lazy to stand up and turn on my printer. :)

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
vikramaditya,
How come I can copy the text without any problem???
Are you on ubuntu?
On windows?

Vivaldi Gloria
August 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM
I can copy the text & print the pdf you attached without problem.

Are you kidding? There is NO way in the world you can stop me printing a message that I can see on my screen. You are trying in vain.

Worst case scenario - I'll grab a screenshot of the OS (which I may run in a virtual sytem) or I'll take a photo of the screen and then print it.

DGortze380
August 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
The best you can realistically do is use Adobe to digitally sign the file to protect against unauthorized changes. Like the last post just said, all someone has to do is grab a screenshot. Why all the concern about making it unable to be copied?

dnairb
August 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM
The screenshot of the security settings shows that the "Restrict Permissions" option isn't selected. If this a screenshot of the dialog before you clicked "Export", then that could be the problem.

Sydius
August 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Besides, if they can open it, they can do whatever they want with what's inside. Those security settings are just suggestions that a program can perfectly well ignore, so long as it can open the file.

I'd have to agree with the others--you might as well skip all the fuss and assume that it will be copied or printed, and plan accordingly. A false sense of security won't help you.

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Well, there's only one recipient. And the sole recipient doesn't appear to be a tech wiz. So it doesn't have to be 100% secured.

DGortze380
August 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well, there's only one recipient. And the sole recipient doesn't appear to be a tech wiz. So it doesn't have to be 100% secured.

From a security stand point that's a wrong assumption. There potentially many recipients, anyone with access to the intended recipients machine for example. Remember, physical access=root access.

Why not a self-destructing note?
(sorry, wouldn't resist)

Basically, the best you're going to do is a digitally signed PDF. Or playing with those settings in openoffice.

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM
how do i do "digitally signed" pdf?

LowSky
August 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
where there's will theres a way to print anything I could just open the doc and hit print screen.

DGortze380
August 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
how do i do "digitally signed" pdf?

I think you'd have to have a legit copy of Acrobat to do it, that's what I use, unless Acrobat Reader will.

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
I don't think Acrobat Reader will sign pdfs. I think they just read PDFs, not create them.

shad0w_walker
August 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM
Seems as I don't notice it being pointed out. If they can't print it or copy it, they can you know.. Write it down. Pens and paper still exist.

hanzj
August 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
shadow-walker,
pen and paper is fine. if the person will copy by hand, i don't mind. it'll make him work for it.