PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my ibex wallpaper? should I submit it?

conorsulli
August 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM
Quick post, made it on gimp one of my first times making a wallpaper and its a beta. do ye like it? Made from scratch but found the interpid on gnome look.

Think i've got a bit of an artiist in me:lolflag:

-----------------------------------UPDATE!----------------------------

OK Here is the pretty much finished version, Added better Sunset lighting against clouds, Softened the Animal and cleaned up a few glitches and coloring. Also its in a very high resolution.

I cant upload its proper resolution it comes in something like 3000x2000 range. I will make a more forum friendly 1600x1200 res for people.

Also what do you think of the theme? its a mash of lots of things, trying to deemphasize on the orangeness of hardy. :)

joshdudeha
August 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I do actually like that.
It's quite beautiful, I think I'd change the colouring a bit though.. ?

Sand & Mercury
August 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Wow, that wallpaper is class! Submit it!

billgoldberg
August 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
The animal stands out too much.

And some higher resolution version are neccesary.

The idea is great, but some things need a bit more fine tuning.

But like you said, it's a beta.

Onces it's refined, it should be great.

sonicb00m
August 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
yeah it's nice, i would use it!

Joeb454
August 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM

+1

Looks promising :)

.nedberg
August 1st, 2008, 04:15 PM
the animal stands out too much.

+1

cespinal
August 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
it is AWESOME... If they dont accept it... give to me!! I will give it the use it deserves :)

It needs a little tweaking keeping in mind that the ibex looks "pasted" over the background.. in guess its borders are too sharp in comparison with the mountains and clouds..

maybe its legs should "melt" into the black ground, as if it were a unique shape, like a linear ground that suddenly lifts into the shape on an ibex, and then continues on flat.

conorsulli
August 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks to everybody for the feedback! I thought it was quite good but second opinions are always the way to go!

by the way what resolution would you be suggesting as this one is 1600x1200 perhaps just refine the pixilation? what is the resolution of the default one in hardy? cheers.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks.:)

Canis familiaris
August 1st, 2008, 04:55 PM
It is great.

Orlsend
August 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Dear Sur

I noticed that in your supreme masterpice you have portrayed Ibex, but sur with out notice you have portrayed the Nubian Ibex rather than the Iberian Ibex

In the Next Ubuntu distro is clearly thats is going to be the Iberian Ibex *You can tell by the effects in the Horns (that look like curly crisps)

In anyway I found you Work Amazing but misleading

Sincerely Your Ubuntu Fan

conorsulli
August 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM
Dear Sur

I noticed that in your supreme masterpice you have portrayed Ibex, but sur with out notice you have portrayed the Nubian Ibex rather than the Iberian Ibex

In the Next Ubuntu distro is clearly thats is going to be the Iberian Ibex *You can tell by the effects in the Horns (that look like curly crisps)

In anyway I found you Work Amazing but misleading

Sincerely Your Ubuntu Fan

Thanks ever so much! I will fix this and make it better. My gosh just as well I didn't submit it! Thanks again!

blueamcat
August 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I really like it! I think the only change I'd make right away is make it a little brighter. Though I don't know what Ibex will look like...so maybe that'd be bad. Good job!

cespinal
August 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
go conor! go conor!

flytripper
August 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
almost a perfect wallpaper... make the ibex a tad softer and it maybe an ubuntu paper i actuallly use :P

Joeb454
August 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM
Definitely.

May I recommend doing a lighter version & a darker version, so that people have 2 options (depending on the kind of theme they use)

kostkon
August 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
Top quality wallpaper! Perfect it and then submit it of course; it has many chances of becoming the official one!

Martje_001
August 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Looks very very good!

Gourgi
August 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Looks very very good!

+1
i like it !

lyceum
August 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I am not sure what you used to make it, but I would re-do it with Inkscape so it can be any size needed. Really good job. I would actually use that wallpaper, and I hate brown.

=D> :popcorn: =D>

kostkon
August 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

OK Here is the pretty much finished version, Added better Sunset lighting against clouds, Softened the Animal and cleaned up a few glitches and coloring. Also its in a very high resolution.

I cant upload its proper resolution it comes in something like 3000x2000 range. I will make a more forum friendly 1600x1200 res for people.

Also what do you think of the theme? its a mash of lots of things, trying to deemphasize on the orangeness of hardy. :)
Oh yeah! Absolutely perfect, I think you are ready to go!! I really like how the sunlight comes out from the clouds, very realistic and beautiful! And the colour is more brownish now, right on target. I think the Ubuntu art team will love your wallpaper.

It became my wallpaper, thank you!

conorsulli
August 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah! Absolutely perfect, I think you are ready to go!! I really like how the sunlight comes out from the clouds, very realistic and beautiful! And the colour is more brownish now, right on target. I think the Ubuntu art team will love your wallpaper.

It became my wallpaper, thank you!

Oh my thanks! I'm really excited about this one! People who saw my computer have also being expressing interest. I really hope it gets accepted!

!nkubus
August 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Very pretty wallpaper :)

lyceum
August 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Now that you have updated, I really like the first one best. The middle one has better colors, but I do not like the sun (I am guessing that is the sun) so far to the right. I would center that. I think it takes away from the ibex. Great job though. Be sure to submit it. There are lots of great wallpapers submitted, and yours should be one of them.

:)

conorsulli
August 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Now that you have updated, I really like the first one best. The middle one has better colors, but I do not like the sun (I am guessing that is the sun) so far to the right. I would center that. I think it takes away from the ibex. Great job though. Be sure to submit it. There are lots of great wallpapers submitted, and yours should be one of them.

:)

Cheers. I know what you are saying I thought exactly the same but after a while the new one grows on you. Also what happened with hardy heron is they made the Heron stick out like a sore thumb and became very irritating as it was a tad childish. I want something that people will appreciate without the mistake certain wind0w$ Ultimate wallpapers did sticking their logo everywhere. Subtle is best, I'm the guy who changes their wallpaper every Ubuntu distro so far, I'm hoping this one will be memorable if by some chance it makes the release.

cheers!

exploder
August 3rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
conorsulli, that is by far the best Ubuntu wallpaper I have ever seen. I hope you submit it and becomes the default. Your wallpaper is pleasing to the eyes, the ibex looks good and most important, the wallpaper shows good taste. Good luck with your submission!

conorsulli
August 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
conorsulli, that is by far the best Ubuntu wallpaper I have ever seen. I hope you submit it and becomes the default. Your wallpaper is pleasing to the eyes, the ibex looks good and most important, the wallpaper shows good taste. Good luck with your submission!

Ooo! now that is a compliment!

DJ_Peng
August 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Fantastic job! The second one (with the sun) is in my rotation of wallpapers. Thanks for making it!

danbuter
August 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I like the one on the left, though both are good.

.nedberg
August 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
I like the colors of the new one and the more faded ibex, but didn't like the sun-thing...

Anyway, they are both great!

Ub1476
August 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Very nice, easy on the eyes and good looking!

rudihawk
August 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
It is really good man!

Joeb454
August 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I like the sunrise/sunset effect on the newer one.

I also like the colors, although the bright "sun" clashes with my conky, though I may consider moving conky to the left to counter that.

BwackNinja
August 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I like it. The only thing I'm worried about is if its widescreen compatible. It becomes annoying that so many great wallpapers are made, but they are made 4:3 and don't have a widescreen version. If it looks fine just zoomed, I'm fine with that too :D

OutOfReach
August 4th, 2008, 03:10 AM
It looks good you should definitely submit it!

CloudFX
August 4th, 2008, 04:52 AM
That's definetly worth submitting.

zxscooby
August 4th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Its cool.

Beth1957
August 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I like it a lot, you should definitely submit it! I probably wouldn't use it because I prefer a lighter wallpaper, but I love the design.

conorsulli
August 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
That's definetly worth submitting.

Thanks guys for all your comments! and glad everybody likes it am really chuffed!:):):):):):):):)

flytripper
August 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
updated one is perfect imo... i got it now :) cheers.. very good. GL with the submission.

pbhj
August 15th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Not so keen personally, the sky and effect of soft haze on the hillscape is lovely and all but the ibex is too flat and its blending into the black at the bottom just looks like you couldn't draw a foreground that you liked.

I probably couldn't do any better myself incidentally, it's good, but I think it lacks some panache especially when compared with the highly artistic heron wallpaper.

If the ibex had more detail (but still a profile in shadow) and the "black haze" was more naturalistic then I could really go for it. That would be reminiscent of a photo of my dad's of wildebeest on the plains below Kilimanjaro. Perhaps a more classis "ibex on a crag" look would be nicer.

Classic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihakrofel/2673155503/
Others:
classic art - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/IbexShape.jpg/180px-IbexShape.jpg
great silhouette, poor background contrast on LHS - http://www.flickr.com/photos/12656965@N08/1495861812/
good stances, head wrong way - http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_chapman/864249788/

danbuter
August 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Just curious if you submitted those wallpapers. Either one looks better than the current wallpaper in intrepid.

lukjad007
August 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM

I like it. I do think that the animal should either look more like it was in the image (e.g. find a photo of a gnu) or make it look like a fain shadow.

rastari
August 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
very nice, again could be a more glossy and have the ibex stand out less but for a first try it's great! you should submit it

nkri
August 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I think it looks incredible:)

Much better than the default Gutsy and Hardy ones;)

Although I'd say it could use a little bit more smoothing...other than that, submit submit submit!

-nkri

conorsulli
August 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Not so keen personally, the sky and effect of soft haze on the hillscape is lovely and all but the ibex is too flat and its blending into the black at the bottom just looks like you couldn't draw a foreground that you liked.

I probably couldn't do any better myself incidentally, it's good, but I think it lacks some panache especially when compared with the highly artistic heron wallpaper.

If the ibex had more detail (but still a profile in shadow) and the "black haze" was more naturalistic then I could really go for it. That would be reminiscent of a photo of my dad's of wildebeest on the plains below Kilimanjaro. Perhaps a more classis "ibex on a crag" look would be nicer.

Classic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihakrofel/2673155503/
Others:
classic art - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/IbexShape.jpg/180px-IbexShape.jpg
great silhouette, poor background contrast on LHS - http://www.flickr.com/photos/12656965@N08/1495861812/
good stances, head wrong way - http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_chapman/864249788/

Wow, thanks for the photos man, I couldn't find any for the ibex and how it should really look like...

I am only now getting used to GIMP and never really had photoshop, Are there any really good photoshop/gimp users out there that could help??

Thank you:popcorn:

conorsulli
October 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hey could somebody help me submit this, I notice on certain monitors it tends to look different (the brown tint) but people are free to modify it if yee think you can make it better, also I dont have a clue how to submit this thing. I was looking on some wiki but it didn't turn out to be very helpful.... I might just send it to gnome-look for now.
Laterz! :-)

ToasterThief
October 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Even though I hate brown, I had to try it out. It's way better than the official wallpaper for the default theme. Except from a few icons I'm pretty default in this screenshot, and I actually like it.

DJ_Peng
October 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I definitely prefer your wallpaper to the one that ended up in the RC. Although I have to admit that I like the one from ubuntu-wallpapers 0.27 best of all. I have that one and your in my wallpaper rotation. Thanks for sharing it with us!

utnubuuser
November 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Very nice! Installed.

Thanks You

bambootree
November 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Very nice ! I like that.
Of course you should. Do submit it !

alex.rayu
November 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Good work! I like the default Ibex more - the detail is better there. But this one is definitely worthy of being submitted or even included in the default set.

psychokittiez
November 15th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I think it looks great.

I would definitely use it.