PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help me, i'm in a rush! Wireless connection

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I only have my wired connection for about two hours. I can't get my wireless connection working.

Detecting your network controller(s):

Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

I have downloaded the ndiswrapper thing and the madwifi thing, and as the ignorant noob I am i thought that would be it. But as i open the ndiswrapper-thing i get a message that i have to like enter an inf-file. I don't have the driver-CD for my network controller. I can't find anywhere to download it.

I do not understand much of this computer-stuff, and I'm a norwegion youngster too, so my english i pretty poor. Pleas help me the best you can, you will save my day:KS

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
does anybodyhave any idea of where i can download the inf-file?

christianxxx
August 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
The atheros card has a solution here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=756318

I couldn't find anything on your Broadcom card, but I suppose something could be done. Though you might need the original drivers...

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ok, but if i do get a hold of the original drivers, is there a chance that might be everything i need to do? I'm starting to get a bit dizzy of all this...

ingeva
August 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
I do not understand much of this computer-stuff, and I'm a norwegion youngster too, so my english i pretty poor. Pleas help me the best you can, you will save my day:KS

I have had Ubuntu for a week so I'm a quite new user myself. :)
The previous version of Ubuntu didn't allow me to go online with the wireless network, even though everything seemed to work fine.

With 8.04 all I had to do was to enter my WPA security code, switch off the computer, remove the network cable (IMPORTANT!) and then start up. Everything worked nicely from then.

I'm quite close to you so if you need further help just call 6755 0125.
I'm retired so I have all the time in the world. Well, almost, especially now that I have thrown out Windows. :)

BTW, I have a D-link card. Works as a charm. My son uses the same card on his Windows machine. On Ubuntu there was no need for additional software.

christianxxx
August 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
To use ndiswrapper, you will need the original drivers.
But the solution I posted doesn't use ndiswrapper from what I could see. But you have to check to be sure.

Anyways, why do you have 2 cards? And why does you wired connection close in two hours?

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
thank you !

but where do i find the place to enter the WPA-code?
i haven't even got the "wireless connection" tap in thew network-connections settings. only the wired-connections tab and some point-to-point thing

ingeva
August 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
thank you !

but where do i find the place to enter the WPA-code?
i haven't even got the "wireless connection" tap in thew network-connections settings. only the wired-connections tab and some point-to-point thing

First things first!
If your computer doesn't find the network card, you WILL need a driver first. Just make sure it's a Linux driver. When you have installed that, the wireless network connection icon should appear in your main menu panel. On my screen it's in the rightmost group. When I click it the menu to connect to the various WiFi networks in my neighborhood appears.

When you select one of those you'll be asked for your security code. I strongly recommend that you set up your router to use WPA security. Enter the same code for your card.

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
But when i go to the hardware-drivers thing it finds it. Still, the wireless-sign wont occur in my network panel. I downloaded an inf-file that somebidy with a similar card and problem had been encouraged to download, and ran the inf-file in ndiswrapper. Nothing happened

ingeva
August 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
But when i go to the hardware-drivers thing it finds it. Still, the wireless-sign wont occur in my network panel. I downloaded an inf-file that somebidy with a similar card and problem had been encouraged to download, and ran the inf-file in ndiswrapper. Nothing happened

Well I'm sorry but this is beyond my knowledge. Let's hope you get better answers.

spencercarran
August 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM
What's the output of iwconfig?

I feel your pain- the Broadcom wifi chips are a pain to get working in Linux. But it can be done!

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
it closes because i have to go home, where i have another computer who just wants to work every now and then.

nora@nora-hjemmepc:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

nora@nora-hjemmepc:~$

Any body? More tips? What is my next step? If i find the original drivers-cd, could that be everything i need? Should i download something before i have to leave the wired connection?

spencercarran
August 1st, 2008, 02:01 PM
All right, that means you don't have any wireless drivers right now.

You might try these links. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper or https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/NdiswrapperOnAMD64.

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have installed ndiswrapper, and in "HARDWARE DRIVERS" it decects drivers for my network card.

I really appreciate your help! I am just totally confused.

spencercarran
August 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hm. I'm really new to Ubuntu myself, so this seems to be the blind leading the blind!:-k

What hardware are you using? And how is it that you have two wireless cards? (Atheros and Broadcom?) Atheros is probably easier to set up. I'll look for an online guide for it.

EDIT: OK, here's the official Ubuntu documentation for wireless. https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/wireless.html I remember seeing a guide specifically for Atheros, but I don't remember where. Working on it, though.

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks alot. I have no idea why i have two. I just ran the hardware testing and that was what i got.

Howerer, when i run the hardware drivers-thing it only shows these atheros-stuff. "Supoport for atheros... wireless lan" and "Atheros HAL"

spencercarran
August 1st, 2008, 02:23 PM
Probably better to try for Atheros- the only Broadcom guides I've seen are for the 43XX versions. This thread seems to detail a similar problem to yours. http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8114&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= I think you have to install the restricted modules.

AKsuited09
August 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
but i have already installed the ndiswrapper

ingeva
August 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM
but i have already installed the ndiswrapper

This article may help you:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Extensa_5200

Look for Broadcom.