PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid promotional material

TheSlipstream
August 1st, 2008, 11:49 AM
I spent some time in Photoshop (I just can't get the hang of TheGIMP, so I endure the WINE glitches I sometimes get) producing this Intrepid promotion art. I might put the time into trying out making a wallpaper some time.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/1646/coffeebuntuwi5.png

So what do you guys think? Constructive criticism only, thanks.

Orlsend
August 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
I spent some time in Photoshop (I just can't get the hang of TheGIMP, so I endure the WINE glitches I sometimes get) producing this Intrepid promotion art. I might put the time into trying out making a wallpaper some time.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/1646/coffeebuntuwi5.png

So what do you guys think? Constructive criticism only, thanks.
Pretty Good!

Maybe less transperacy with the Ubuntu Logo. The shadow of the cup would be cooler if it look like the Ubuntu logo was making it. rather than something not shown in the background.

TheSlipstream
August 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Pretty Good!

Maybe less transperacy with the Ubuntu Logo. The shadow of the cup would be cooler if it look like the Ubuntu logo was making it. rather than something not shown in the background.

I tried out the less transparency, but it kinda ruins the feel of the logo being part of the steam. I have no idea what you mean by "the shadow of the cup".

Oh, and to everyone, please don't quote my image. It makes the page look really long.

Joeb454
August 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Oh, and to everyone, please don't quote my image. It makes the page look really long.

I removed the [img] tags for you.

I think it looks quite good. You could try getting the Ubuntu font, it's in the repo's. That would make it even better ;)

A quick
sudo apt-get install ttf-ubuntu-title :)

MadsRH
August 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Looks good :)

TheSlipstream
August 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hmm. I downloaded, but what exactly is the font called? I wish I payed attention while installing. :/

duckgoesoink
August 1st, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hmm. I downloaded, but what exactly is the font called? I wish I payed attention while installing. :/

The font is called Ubuntu-Title. :-)

blueamcat
August 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
That's neat! I really like the whole coffee cup design you have going there. Great job.

kostkon
August 2nd, 2008, 03:23 AM
Quite good! Keep up the good work!

era86
August 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Maybe put the Ubuntu logo in the cup, and the steam could be the Debian logo? Or maybe you were going for some symbolism with Ubuntu coming from Debian... ;)

TheSlipstream
August 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Maybe put the Ubuntu logo in the cup, and the steam could be the Debian logo? Or maybe you were going for some symbolism with Ubuntu coming from Debian... ;)

Hey! Glad someone noticed! I liked the idea of Ubuntu rising from it's parent, Debian, so I put a swirl in that cup. I don't really think the swirl being the steam would make any sort of sense, though, and I'm trying to make Ubuntu look really awesome with coloured steam, so... :P

conorsulli
August 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Man this would be good for for the ubuntu website on thier release date for 8.10!
Constructive critiscizm: Make the water Blacker to look like coffee rather than tea because much of ubuntu is based on coffee beans and stuff, Tea is out of place.
Its good none the less!

lyceum
August 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
You did a good job with the steam, but the lines leading to the Ubuntu logo look like they are coming from outside the cup. I do like the idea though.

Also, keep practicing with the GIMP. I found it easier than PhotoShop once I got the hang of it.

:popcorn:

kamitsukai
August 3rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Man this would be good for for the ubuntu website on thier release date for 8.10!
Constructive critiscizm: Make the water Blacker to look like coffee rather than tea because much of ubuntu is based on coffee beans and stuff, Tea is out of place.
Its good none the less!

LOL I was just going to comment that it looked more like tea than coffee:lolflag:

TheSlipstream
August 3rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Its good none the less!

Eeek. It does look like tea. But that's the steam layer being on top of the coffee layer, making the coffee look lighter. I'm working on that Ibex wallpaper, btw. Already done the drawing, trying something new this time. Can't wait to get access to a scanner and a good mouse. ;)

Ub1476
August 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
It looks very good, but I think it differs a bit too much from very clean bottom to a more faded and "noisy" top. I would work on that a little perhaps, but great work. Would be cool to have on the Ubuntu.com front page. :)