PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 stuck in 800x600!!

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 02:04 AM
Hello all!
I decided to try the Dual Monitors trick, and I think I failed. Ubuntu is stuck in 800 x 600, and I can get it off of it. Every time I reboot, it comes up and tells me its in low graphics mode, and that I need to configure. So I configure, and here I am.. Still in the same place! Any ideas?

HELP!!!!

Josh

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 02:52 AM
What kind of graphics card do you have?

And what happens if you go to:

displayconfig-gtk
Will that allow you to set your resolution and more importantly, will it keep those settings when you reboot?

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM
How did you attempt dual monitors through nvidia-settings?

If you cant install the drivers you may need to reconifgure the xorg

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 03:09 AM
To falcon:
I have an ATI Raedon XPRO 700 video card. I have been using it for weeks now! and when I decide to dual, it blows up. when I run displayconfig-gtk, it told me I needed to install kde-guidance. SO I installed, and ran it again, and it brought the display choosing screen. My device was shown as unknown. I tried to config it, but it will not hold.

to Tuxxy:
I used this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-776217.html. I thought it would work, but it didnt seem to.
When I try to reconfigure xorg I get this:

root@CrAp:/home/jbergman# sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080731220244
root@CrAp:/home/jbergman# sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080731220849
root@CrAp:/home/jbergman#

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 03:17 AM
The feedback you are getting from the recofigure xserver is normal, that's just letting you know that it's going to overwrite an old config.

Speaking of which, you can always go back to an old xorg.conf file and try that.

The easiest way I have found to do that is to use the file manager but you have to start it in the terminal using sudo. That being said, you have to be very careful what you do because you have the power to do a lot of damage to your system. Anway it goes like this:

sudo nautilus

That will start the file manager in sudo mode so you can edit files belonging to root.

Now navigate to /etc/X11.

Inside the X11 folder you should see a few xorg.conf with various extensions at the end. What I recommend is that you right-click on your current xorg.conf and rename it to xorg.conf.current.

Now go back as far as you need to before you switched to the dual monitor and copy that xorg.conf file. Rename the copied version to just xorg.conf that way you still have the orginial backup in case you need to revert back to that later.

Now restart. The settings that you used before trying the dual screen should be loaded at start and then you can start fresh.

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 03:21 AM
when you reconfigure your xorg, it will make a backup copy of your original /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Did you complete the process and reboot after you run the command

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM
To falcon:
I rebooted for a third time, and before I went into the xorg.conf file, my resolution came back. Now the problem is the windows are very choppy, and very slow to move.. I mean SLOW!!! How can i fix that. its like my visual effects arent working at all. and its pegging the CPU!

to Tuxxy:
thanks for the info on the file. I did complete the process, and rebooted. as noted in falcons response above, it took 3 times for it to come back. Now I dont think my card is working!

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 03:31 AM
It may be that the drivers for your card were not loaded when you rebooted which would make everything run a little slow. Did you edit the xorg.conf file at all before all the restarts?

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
I did not. Im scared I might "kill" the file. What do I need to look for, and modify? If its easy, I can do it.. Im still "learning" :)

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 03:35 AM
My first suggestion would be to go back and use a backup xorg.conf file like I described above. If things were working fine before you started working with the dual monitors, go back to that time and then you can start tweaking it from there. It's better to start with one that works than one that's all messed up.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 03:42 AM
I renamed the xorg.conf file to xorg.conf.current. I did see several xorg files in there. I took xorg.cong.20080731220249 and renamed it to xorg.conf, and rebooted. that did not work. ne thing I did forget to do was copy it. Can I go back to the original one, and do it again? can I use the xorg.conf1. 2 files?

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM
onwe thing I do see come up before nautilus loads is:
** (nautilus:8794): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Operation not supported

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
Yeah, you can go back to the original or try some of the others. Perferably you want to go back as early as you can, but a working one may not be there. When you rebooted did you still have the slow windows or was the resolution the only thing messed up?

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'm not quite sure on that one, but I'm guessing that may be in reference to using the dual-monitor setup.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 03:49 AM
When I rebooted, it was still slow. I just used xorg.conf.1, and it want to low graphics mode. Ill try 2. there were also fail safes.. forget the dual monitors. I just need one now!!

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 03:56 AM
More than likely they are all going to boot up into a low res mode but a good config file will allow you to adjust the screen resolution either at the startup warning or once the gdm is loaded. Also, is there an ATI config tool like nvidia-settings for your card?

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM
I see. Well so far, no luck!! Im down to the last one! Im not sure if there is a config tool. where might I be able to find one?

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM
The Synaptic Package Manager. Run a search for ATI and then read the descriptions of the packages that come up. If not there, you could also run a search through the Add/Remove Ap.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 04:03 AM
the last xorg file I tried told me to restart before settings would take affect. The rest of them tried to render, and it want all black and grey with an X as the cursor. So this one came up better. the windows are still choppy though. Im looking for the congif tool now.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 04:10 AM
I found one called Jockeyits used for configuring 3rd party drivers such a Nvida and ATI. Its under system | Hardware Drivers. I open that up, and my ATI card is in there noted as ATI accelerated graphics driver. it says its not in use. Shoudld I enable it?

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 04:18 AM
Yeah, that makes sense since your windows got all choppy. Try enabling it and seeing if it works. You may have to start it from the terminal using sudo to allow it to overwrite the xorg.conf file.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 04:21 AM
heres a noob question. How can I start it from the terminal? I love the terminal. I need to get some books on it!!!

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
To run an app in terminal juust type its name

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 04:24 AM
Open the terminal and type sudo and then the app name. That should open it, just like you opened the file manager through there.

As a side note, there are a couple great threads throughout the forum about the terminal... just run a search.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 04:25 AM
I enabled it, and now its back to low graphics mode. I hit configure, and now my monitor will not display it! Is says not optimum mode

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 04:33 AM
It seems to like several reboots to get it back into shape!! I did the sudo and app name (sudo Hardware-Drivers) no matter what variation I do, it all comes back command not found

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
OK... try starting Jockeyits from terminal using sudo and configuring your card through there. Try a few different settings and pay attention to the refresh rate.

If you still can't get it, I recommend reinstalling your drivers using EnvyNG which you can get through the Synaptic Package Manager. Install Envy and run it to uninstall your drivers. Restart and then install the new drivers.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Well 50% of that worked!! I unstalled the ATI drivers, and now my windows are moving!!! Should I reinstall? or just leave it?

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 04:50 AM
If you want to take advantage of your card, you would need to install them. Make sure you restart in between.

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM
install envyng and try to install through this

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM
Yeah.. I would like to.. I paid a lot of $$ for it a few years back! Let me try.. (crosses fingers) Got another question for you. In all of these reboots, my wireless icon is on the bottom bar... in the right corner. Can I move that back up to the top? I have tried dragging, right click move, but nothing works?

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 05:00 AM
Well.. Installing the ATI driver put me right back at square one... I dont think I need the full potential of my card. If it works Im happy!!!

I want to thank you Falcon, and you Tuxxy for helping me through all of this. I would not of been able to complete it without either of you!! THANK YOU!!!!!

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 05:06 AM
Square one being a manageable screen resolution I hope?

And as far as your icon goes, try right clicking on it and look for Lock. Uncheck that and you should be able to move it whereever you want

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
jsblack if you plan to upgrade in furure I would reocmmend an nvidia card instead :)

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
back to square one as in low ggraphics mode, and then it came up all crappy. I unstalled it again, and it works like a charm..

As for the icon, all I see when I right click is Enable netowrking, enable wireless, Connection information, Edit wireless networks, and about. No lock...

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
I was thinking of nvidia for my next one. I want to build a tower from scratch.. so when I get the $$ to do that, I will make sure I go nvidia. No more ATI!

falcon61102
August 1st, 2008, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I highly recommend nVidia as well. I've always had problems with ATI products.

jsblackmaro
August 1st, 2008, 05:13 AM
I will make sure I do that next time. It seems to be running now.. for now! Thanks again!!!! Still cant figure out the icon though!