PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Good video manager?

ktulu1115
July 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hey all-

I've been searching for awhile now for a good video manager and have yet to come across something that catches my attention. The best I've found yet is the latest Banshee (1.2) which is pretty decent, but I'd really like something with tagging ability. There are a bunch of them out there but 95% focus on just audio files, I'd like something that will do the same for my large amount of videos. Browsing my NFS share through Nautilus has lost it's appeal. :)

Any recommendations? I'm thinking along the lines of a MythTV-style manager but as a desktop application. Thanks!

tuxxy
July 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Mythvideo?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythVideo

ktulu1115
August 1st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Wow I should have thought about that one haha. I gave it a shot... thanks for the suggestion but it seems a bit overkill for what I want.

I'm really looking for something right along the lines of Exaile, Amarok, Banshee, Rhythmbox, etc - but suited just for videos. It doesn't even need to play them embedded within the app itself, launching VLC or Totem is just fine with me. Being able to tag my videos with 'cosmos', 'science', 'surfing', 'travel', etc would be of great use.

olavjunior
September 22nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I also wondered about this! Installing myth seems slightly overkill I agree.
So, nothing?

abhiroopb
May 5th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'd also be interested in an amarok like app that plays videos.

spaceballl
May 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I know this post is almost a year old, but I can't seem to find a good answer...

I have ubuntu netbook remix installed on my 1000HE. I'd love to have a good video manager program to watch ripped DVDs. People have suggested mythvideo - I went ahead and installed that, but I regret it. Way too many packages installed - I need to configure some mysql db and stuff, etc etc.

I just want an iTunes-y like interface for videos.

abhiroopb
May 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I use med's video manager. To be honest I realised that while Banshee and Med's Video Manager (http://xmm.sourceforge.net/index.php?menu=download) are good apps, I don't really need anything like that. I have almost 600 avi files, while this is a LOT in terms of video files, when you compare it to my 11,000 songs its a paltry sum. I realised that I don't really need an application that essentially emulates amarok (although I did say that before) since I don't have that many videos anyway.

Having said that Med's is a useful app to basically create a list of all the movies complete with IMDB ratings and other useful information.

theophile
May 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
What about Miro?

marines
June 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM
neither xmm nor miro has tagging ability. i'm also looking for such an app. like Picasa or F-Spot for videos.