PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How to Install Adobe Flash Player

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 07:34 PM
As I was 'stumbling' around, I came across a site that insists that I require further plugins in order to view it. I clicked the link but an automitic install is not allowed so I have to do a manual one. I downloaded the file (install_flash_player_9_linux) which is a tar.gz and extracted it to the /tmp file. So far so good. Inside it is a file called 'flashplayer-installer' but when I click on it, nothing happens. I opened a terminal and did the sudo apt-install command but got nothing? I cd'd to the /tmp directory and did an 'ls' and found the file but I just cannot figure out how to execute it.

Can anyone tell me the command to execute the file and install the plugin please?

snowpine
July 31st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
and enter your password.

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Did that. And also from Synaptic but the site still insists that the necessary driver is not installed. Is it possible that this particular driver is too new to be included in the repository?

snowpine
July 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Whoops, sorry... I misread your original post. :(
I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions for you; that method is what worked for me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you. Good luck!

ps Do you have any Firefox extensions running such as Noscript? That's the only other thing I can think of.

etomic13
July 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM
The current version of Flash (according to the Adobe website) is 9,0,124,0 which is also whats listed in the Ubuntu repository. So it should be installing the latest version. Does it list any dependency problems?

philinux
July 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM
It might need java as well. Install the extras package.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

LittleLORDevil
July 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM
I usually go to Add/Remove and search for Ubuntu Restricted Extras and install all of that and it usually works along with a lot of other proprietary formats.

Twitch6000
July 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM
As I was 'stumbling' around, I came across a site that insists that I require further plugins in order to view it. I clicked the link but an automitic install is not allowed so I have to do a manual one. I downloaded the file (install_flash_player_9_linux) which is a tar.gz and extracted it to the /tmp file. So far so good. Inside it is a file called 'flashplayer-installer' but when I click on it, nothing happens. I opened a terminal and did the sudo apt-install command but got nothing? I cd'd to the /tmp directory and did an 'ls' and found the file but I just cannot figure out how to execute it.

Can anyone tell me the command to execute the file and install the plugin please?

Excuse me if this sounds harsh or wrong in any manner,but were you searching for the normal things every normal person likes once in a while?If so it is probably trying to give you a windows virus and cannot succeed due to you being on a Linux machine.If I am incorrect then I would try uninstalling flash then reinstalling it.

jualin
July 31st, 2008, 07:57 PM
Have you tried this? (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/instructions/)

jualin
July 31st, 2008, 08:00 PM
You need to navigate with the terminal to execute the installer. Once you get there then just type
./flashplayer-installer to run it

aysiu
July 31st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Why don't you tell us what the site is, and we can tell you whether or not it legitimately requires a Flash plugin or not?

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM
It might need java as well. Install the extras package.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

OK. Did that.

Still no joy. Some websites are still insisting that they require the plugin although Synaptic says it is installed. I have downloaded the package that it insists on but i just dont know how to execute it. The tar.gz is Linux version Adobe Flash 9 currently sitting in the /tmp directory

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Sure. Here it is. The original one was a Stumble so I've lost it, but this one is telling me the same...

http://www.dinosaurnews.org/

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Excuse me if this sounds harsh or wrong in any manner,but were you searching for the normal things every normal person likes once in a while?If so it is probably trying to give you a windows virus and cannot succeed due to you being on a Linux machine.If I am incorrect then I would try uninstalling flash then reinstalling it.

ROFL! OMG That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

I'm a mother of two small girls. I dont have time to search for that sort of stuff. Besides, I got the real thing this morning. Anyway, No, when I said 'Stumbling' I meant Stumbling as in Stumble. I was just randomly surfing the net but I keep comming across this Adobe Plugin problem.

No offence taken and point understood but oh my god that was funny.

aysiu
July 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Sure. Here it is. The original one was a Stumble so I've lost it, but this one is telling me the same...

http://www.dinosaurnews.org/
The only Flash I see there is an embedded YouTube video, and it works for me with the flashplugin-nonfree package.

gjoellee
July 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
delete flash (if it is there)
-Go to your home folder and click CTRL+H and find ".mozilla"
-Now to go "plugins"
-if you find "libflashplayer.so" it may be broken or something so delete it

Lets install flash 10 BETA!
-Download
Direct Link:http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_install_linux_070208.tar.gz
Main Mirror: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
-Extract the .tar.gz file and put the extracted file to your home folder
-Go to terminal Applications->Accessories->Terminal and add the commands:

cd install_flash_player_10_linux

./flashplayer-installer
-do as the installer tells you until it says you have have installed flash
-restart Firefox if it was running when you installed Flash 10BETA

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM
You need to navigate with the terminal to execute the installer. Once you get there then just type to run it

OK. That fixed it. Thanks! Web sites running properly now.

gandaran
July 31st, 2008, 08:37 PM
edit:

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 08:42 PM
According to the About box, this is the firefox version :

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072820 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.1 (Linux Mint)

jualin
July 31st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Glad I helped you.

Twitch6000
July 31st, 2008, 09:19 PM
ROFL! OMG That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

I'm a mother of two small girls. I dont have time to search for that sort of stuff. Besides, I got the real thing this morning. Anyway, No, when I said 'Stumbling' I meant Stumbling as in Stumble. I was just randomly surfing the net but I keep comming across this Adobe Plugin problem.

No offence taken and point understood but oh my god that was funny.

Well darn now I feel dumb :(.

ChocolateChip_Wookie
July 31st, 2008, 10:26 PM
Well darn now I feel dumb :(.
No go wash your mind out with soap sweetie :)

bondo101
August 11th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks the AdobeFlash player ate my hibernation mode i hope this fixes it. i reset the hiber time but it comes up with a error code then shuts down HMMMMM !
bondo101 one linux at a time