PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the programming challenges?

Titan8990
July 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM
I used to often see programming challenges posted on the forums. I haven't seen one in a while. Being a beginner in programming that was something that I always enjoyed monitoring and seeing the solutions that people came up with.

Anyone have an idea on why I have not seen one in a while? Everyone preoccupied with the google code jam?

dribeas
July 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM
I used to often see programming challenges posted on the forums. I haven't seen one in a while. Being a beginner in programming that was something that I always enjoyed monitoring and seeing the solutions that people came up with.

Anyone have an idea on why I have not seen one in a while? Everyone preoccupied with the google code jam?

Nope... just to late to sing in for google-jam (I would have loved it!). Davy Wybiral, who posts around here each so often, has a page (http://www.challenge-you.com/) with some challenges and solutions. Some are language oriented (python) but most can be solved with just about any language. I don't think they require a hardcore programmer to solve most of them, so you can give them a try. After solving/refusing to solve a problem you can check other people's solutions.

David

Titan8990
July 31st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the link. I saw another site like that posted on these forums last week but I can't find it. The other one was nice because the challenges went in stages.

WW
July 31st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Looks like the last challenge was Programming challenge 15: connect four (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5254181). It had no entries, so no winner was selected to create the next challenge.

Lux Perpetua
July 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
The programming challenges basically died a slow death. Since there was no winner from the last one, anybody who wants to can set the next challenge.

drubin
August 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Bring them back... Who has the time?

LaRoza
August 1st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Bring them back... Who has the time?

If you don't want to, I will. I will start it off easier though, for completely new users.

drubin
August 1st, 2008, 09:41 AM
If you don't want to, I will. I will start it off easier though, for completely new users.

Starting off easy would be a great idea to get the newbies hooked in.

Ps as always LaRoza saves the day

nvteighen
August 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Ps as always LaRoza saves the day

That's a plan of her to assimilate us all (except Java programmers and me, a bad C programmer with BASIC background). It's a trap, believe me. ::

drubin
August 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
That's a plan of her to assimilate us all (except Java programmers and me, a bad C programmer with BASIC background). It's a trap, believe me. ::

Makes no sense... :confused:

What is wrong with Java Programmers Java has its place. bin maybe?

nvteighen
August 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Makes no sense... :confused:

What is wrong with Java Programmers Java has its place. bin maybe?

Ask LaRoza :)

Anyway, I'm that bad programmer that, if I'm assimilated, the Borg will segfault and die.

drubin
August 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
There is nothing wrong with Java programmers, I am a Java programmer. It was a little joke.

nvteighen
August 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with Java programmers, I am a Java programmer. It was a little joke.
(I know you were joking... I am still waiting for LaRoza's reply).

I don't have anything against any kind of programmers... Actually, it's nice to see some diversity, isn't it?

drubin
August 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM
I don't have anything against any kind of programmers... Actually, it's nice to see some diversity, isn't it?

At the moment I seem to work in/with a lot of langs some times it is getting confusing..

Ps Think she is sleeping now, not sure what time zone she is in but always seems to be online when it is 3am for me. he he