PDA

View Full Version : Nexenta - GNU/Solaris

rattaro
November 5th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Anyone hear of gnusolaris.org project? I'm curious about it. It uses Ubuntu packages, has GNU userland, and Solaris kernel. This system could really kick ass. However, I wonder what this company Nexenta is about. Their philosophy is very much like Ubuntu's. I can't even begin to speculate about them since there is really no information on them so far.

matthew
November 5th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I've been looking at it for a couple of days and may try installing it on an extra partition on my testbed computer. So far it looks like a good toy to play with, but isn't mature enough for real use (not quite yet...). I do think it has a lot of potential.

ubuntu_demon
November 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM
So what's going to be the big benefits of a solaris kernel to the average desktop user ?
more security ? how much more security? (For servers extra security is very important ofcourse)

What about hardware support ? If the solaris kernel gets more popular more hardware will be supported ofcourse.

Having a competing kernel for GNU is a good thing. It's cool that they use a lot of ubuntu stuff.Did you notice the upgrade manager in the screenshot ?

xequence
November 5th, 2005, 10:19 PM
I read about this yesterday. It looks cool, but I dont know how good hardware detection would be since I heard that solaris doesent do well in that area. Anyway, if it gets good hardware detection or already has it, I might try it.

ubuntu_demon
Ubuntu Master Roaster

Almost there ;)

Anthem
November 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Short answer: Not many advantages for the average desktop user, quite a few if you're running a Sun workstation. Other than that, it's probably best for servers.

Hardware support is a pain. I understand why Sun didn't go GPL, but if they had they sure could have helped themselves in terms of hardware support.

ubuntu_demon
November 5th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Short answer: Not many advantages for the average desktop user, quite a few if you're running a Sun workstation. Other than that, it's probably best for servers.

Hardware support is a pain. I understand why Sun didn't go GPL, but if they had they sure could have helped themselves in terms of hardware support.
yeah it would be great for a sun workstation!

A while ago I could buy a really cheap ultrasparc 5. The next time I see something like that (preferably faster) I'm gonna buy it!

Lovechild
November 6th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Currently Solaris offers some very interesting features like dtrace - however systemtap will do the same for Fedora (and other lesser distros). In short OpenSolaris on the desktop at least doesn't provide much, HAL isn't ported etc.

rattaro
November 6th, 2005, 04:06 AM

One cool advantage for me would be the zones. You could make it so each virtual desktop is truly an isolated virtual environment. That way, I could mess up everything (both on purpose and not), just delete the thing, and move on. Pretty cool. Well, we'll see what comes of it.

Poiema
November 8th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Is anyone else looking forward to trying this new distro? They are supposed to be using Ubuntu as their Debian base. They also have a cool giraffe mascot.

URL - http://www.gnusolaris.org

What are your thoughts?

Poiema

Lovechild
November 8th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I fail to see what it really brings to the playing field. I vote waste of time.

daveisadork
November 8th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I've been toying with it for a couple days now. I'm always interested to try a new OS, and a "real" UNIX was all to enticing to pass up. Even the official Solaris is strikingly similar to Linux as it runs GNOME, but when you start to dig in and tinker with it, it becomes apparent that things are very different. Should be fun to figure out.

I'm setting this aside (don't feel like making my network card work at the moment) to play with GNU/Hurd, though.

Astrophobos
November 8th, 2005, 08:20 PM
It look promising for a pre-alpha

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=495&slide=5&title=nexenta+os+pre-alpha+1+screenshots

ubuntu_demon
November 8th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I have merged these two threads.

panickedthumb
November 8th, 2005, 11:54 PM
good luck with Hurd. It's a beast :)