PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Offtopic for members only?

imagine
November 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Hi,

short question: Is it intentional that guests cannot see the threads in the Offtopic forum?

ubuntu-geek
November 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Yes..

linbetwin
November 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Y?

ubuntu-geek
November 8th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Because its an offtopic area for registered users. The area is not moderated, users who are not registered really don't need to see it. Nothing in there pertains to ubuntu.

linbetwin
November 8th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I see. I didn't even know there was an offtopic forum, much less that it wasn't moderated. I'm on my way there to flame somebody :)

ubuntu-geek
November 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I see. I didn't even know there was an offtopic forum, much less that it wasn't moderated. I'm on my way there to flame somebody :)
No flaming sorry.. there are 5 rules you'll see them..

linbetwin
November 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM
No flaming sorry.. there are 5 rules you'll see them..

I wasn't going to do it anyway.

ubuntu-geek
November 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM
I wasn't going to do it anyway.
hehehe :P

XDevHald
November 8th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I think even if the motivation was there, that is the reason why we have offtopic forums and also do not allow guests to post to certain areas because of flaming.

Registering is so much better, reason why, is because if you do flame, and get caught, you're warned maybe twice, if you're lucky, then the IP is grabbed and blocked on temp leave until you're given an e-mail from the admins of you being allowed in again.

Gotta love it ;)

imagine
November 8th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I think even if the motivation was there, that is the reason why we have offtopic forums and also do not allow guests to post to certain areas because of flaming.

Registering is so much better, reason why, is because if you do flame, and get caught, you're warned maybe twice, if you're lucky, then the IP is grabbed and blocked on temp leave until you're given an e-mail from the admins of you being allowed in again.Yes, but this was about reading, not posting.
And with dynamical IP-addresses and thousands of open proxies you cannot really ban anyone, as long as he wants to visit the forum.

Anyway, my question got answered, should I know put a "solved" in the title? : )

earobinson
November 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM
how you get the solved tag up there, i edit the subject of my op and it dont change in the forums :(

eyebrowman92
November 9th, 2005, 03:32 AM
what is the link to the offtopic forum?

imagine
November 9th, 2005, 08:17 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121