PDA

View Full Version : Beryl Looked Better Than Compiz...

acelin
July 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM
The pic with Beryl is the one with the smooth curve. Compiz Fusion is the one with the white window.

Seems to me Beryl was much better at drawing curves... also I know that its wobbly windows looked better and were more consistent. Why this focus on quantity over quality?

tuxxy
July 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Thats a real difference, does it have something to do with the wobbly windows options, like friction or spring?

LaRoza
July 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
The pic with Beryl is the one with the smooth curve. Compiz Fusion is the one with the white window.

Seems to me Beryl was much better at drawing curves... also I know that its wobbly windows looked better and were more consistent. Why this focus on quantity over quality?

Beryl was a fork, and now has rejoined Compiz. That is why forking can be negative, it can hold back progress.

SunnyRabbiera
July 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
actually compiz works better for me then the old beryl in many respects.

zekopeko
July 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
why don't you try increasing the number of curves magic lamp draws.
also next time do your research and stop trolling. beryl is dead and CF is rocking.

SunnyRabbiera
July 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM
also next time do your research and stop trolling. beryl is dead and CF is rocking.

Well I guess it depends on hardware and such, for some the old beryl works on their cards better then newer compiz versions.
Though my case is strange, I have a built in intel video card that is primitive compared to the more modern stuff but it runs compiz like a charm :D
But it may be due to my intel card supporting open GL.

acelin
July 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Watch your mouth. I have no reason to troll. That Beryl screenshot was taken last September on Feisty, and always worked flawlessly. Compiz Fusion on Hardy, however, does that. I have worked with setting and cant get it to look anywhere as close, on the same computer, as Beryl.

Beryl: Quality

Compiz Fusion: Quantity

SunnyRabbiera
July 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
What is your video card by the way, acelin?
Me I got a intel 915 open GL card

acelin
July 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
ATI Radeon Mobility of some sort. Getting a Nvidia 8800 here soon :D

tuxxy
July 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I had terrible issues with ATI also, an upgrade sorted them all out for me also, flawless 3D and effects with nvidia :)

rune0077
July 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Change the "grid resolution" under wobbly windows, set it as high as possible. I have perfect curves now (hmm, the wobbly windows on my monitor-screen, that is).

SunnyRabbiera
July 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
ATI Radeon Mobility of some sort. Getting a Nvidia 8800 here soon :D

well theres your problem :D

acelin
July 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM
well theres your problem :D

Yet Beryl worked fine with the same card?

Also I have the max amount of grids, and Beryl still would look better!

Dharmachakra
July 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM
On a 7900GT I have the same problem. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the 8800! Luckily, I don't like to use curved windows for anything. I tried curving the expo display, but it looked nasty. :(

geoken
July 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'm still waiting for some kind of support for off-screen rendering of minimized windows. Beryl had it, and by extension was able to incorporate minimized windows in the scale plugin and in various other window switcher plugins. Compiz removed it because it was deemed a 'dirty hack' and now the scale plugin is useless unless I want my desktop to look like a cluttered mess of un-minimized windows.

It's one of the big reasons I'm contemplating KDE 4.

armageddon08
July 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM

I feel the same way. Plus perhaps the animations, 3D desktop motions were much smoother. And the settings manager in beryl was more n00b friendly.

Although i have both Beryl and CF installed on my box.

DeadSuperHero
July 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I had this problem with Compiz before. Just turn up the grid options in "Wobbly Windows" fixed it for me.

hessiess
July 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM
looks like its triangulating the quads incorrectly i.e.

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I have that same problem. Adjusting the grid size didn't help.

TBOL3
July 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
looks like its triangulating the quads incorrectly i.e.

Um, despite the fact that I did this in blender, and got different results, what does this have to do with anything?

hessiess
July 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Um, despite the fact that I did this in blender, and got different results, what does this have to do with anything?

It demonstrates that the problem is more lickly to do with how compiz is arranging the triangles. to re-create that in blender just offset one of the verts verticly then add two triangles, duplicate the mesh, delete the triangles and create 2 more with the edge going between the other two verts.

zekopeko
July 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Watch your mouth. I have no reason to troll. That Beryl screenshot was taken last September on Feisty, and always worked flawlessly. Compiz Fusion on Hardy, however, does that. I have worked with setting and cant get it to look anywhere as close, on the same computer, as Beryl.

Beryl: Quality

Compiz Fusion: Quantity

or what? your gonna troll some more? why don't you report a bug? you are implying that CF isn't about quality and are disrespecting the time and work the developers have given to making your desktop a nicer and fluffier place.

cardinals_fan
July 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM
or what? your gonna troll some more? why don't you report a bug? you are implying that CF isn't about quality and are disrespecting the time and work the developers have given to making your desktop a nicer and fluffier place.
There's no need for that kind of personal attack. He's just saying that he preferred the way Beryl worked to the way CF does now.

Keyper7
July 30th, 2008, 09:12 PM

So, uh... Care to add some more details into your quite strong statements? Like other issues, conversations with developers, user reports, source code details, documentation snippets and such?

Because so far it seems you are drawing conclusions about the entire development model of compiz-fusion and major developer decisions based on two issues of a single plugin that not everyone is experiencing.

Sounds quite... unreasonable, to say the least. What's the real difference between your post and the usual "my printer worked in Windows and does not work in Ubuntu, so obviously Windows is superior and the development cycle of Ubuntu is flawed" posts that we see around here?

rune0077
July 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Agreeing with cardinals above. The only one looking for a fight here is you.

acelin
July 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Agreeing with cardinals above. The only one looking for a fight here is you.

I was just wondering. You keep on bantering. Im ignoring you.

Other example include how when maximizing and minimizing windows CF will scrabble the image- it looks like black and white lines across the window- while Beryl did not.

Compiz you think would be faster? Beryl never:) got in the way. Compiz tends to slow things down. :confused:

Also I never had Ubuntu crash - ever- until I "upgraded" To CF last May. I think I will go back to Beryl until they fix things.

macogw
July 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I haven't noticed any difference in quality between Beryl and Compiz on my Intel 915 or Intel 855.

rune0077
July 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I was just wondering. You keep on bantering. Im ignoring you.

See the quote in my post. I wasn't talking to you ;-)

acelin
July 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
See the quote in my post. I wasn't talking to you ;-)

Ehh sorry.

TBOL3
July 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I haven't tried out beryl. But I do have to say that I do like CF a lot. I did try compiz out once, before it was included by default, and it didn't turn out as well.

Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you and beryl.

smartboyathome
July 30th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I know when I tried Beryl and then Compiz Fusion when it came out last year on my Intel hardware, Compiz was actually just as good quality as Beryl. I think this might be a problem with how Compiz is communicating to specific drivers.

acelin
July 30th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I know when I tried Beryl and then Compiz Fusion when it came out last year on my Intel hardware, Compiz was actually just as good quality as Beryl. I think this might be a problem with how Compiz is communicating to specific drivers.

Think there would be that much of a difference?

diafanos
July 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Change the "grid resolution" under wobbly windows, set it as high as possible. I have perfect curves now (hmm, the wobbly windows on my monitor-screen, that is).

I had this resolution problem, since I made the change from beryl to compiz.
It was really annoying then. But time passed so I got used to this "inconvenience".
Today I came across this thread and I fixed the "problem"!

@rune0077 thanx

geoken
July 31st, 2008, 12:37 AM
So, uh... Care to add some more details into your quite strong statements? Like other issues, conversations with developers, user reports, source code details, documentation snippets and such?

I'll add one (which I already mentioned). They removed the ability to grab the contents of minimized windows, thereby making every window management plugin useless if you aren't a fan of having your desktop look like a cluttered mess.

zekopeko
July 31st, 2008, 12:41 AM
i think you all are missing the main point of compiz/CF. they want to implement things in a proper way. i bet that beryl did it in a very ugly manor (code wise). and just for reference vista also can't show content of minimized windows.
also you have the scale plugin which gives you a nice expose like effect so why minimize?

acelin
July 31st, 2008, 12:45 AM
i think you all are missing the main point of compiz/CF. they want to implement things in a proper way. i bet that beryl did it in a very ugly manor (code wise). and just for reference vista also can't show content of minimized windows.
also you have the scale plugin which gives you a nice expose like effect so why minimize?

Well they are not doing that. They are creating lots of plug ins taht look shabby and perform shabby compared to Beryl.

zekopeko
July 31st, 2008, 12:48 AM
you don't have to use them. or you could report a bug if something isn't preforming as you would like.
i'm hoping that your issues will be fixed once they port compiz to the new framework.

pcybill
July 31st, 2008, 12:50 AM
I've used nvidia exclusively, I'm curious as to the difference you will observe once you install yours acelin. Keep us posted please.

Oldsoldier2003
July 31st, 2008, 12:55 AM
Thread closed. This thread has ceased serving its intended purpose and is becoming an infraction magnet.