PDA

View Full Version : Why are computers traditionally beige?

Navyblue
November 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM
This has been in my mind for a long time. I googled for it but didn't find anything remotely relevant.

Computers today typically come in black or silver colour. I think that is because those are the trendy colours today. Electronics like TV or stereo sets typically comes in these colours too. But I didn't see much old TV or stereo sets that are beige, so I guess it wasn't the trendy colour back then.

One reason that I could think of is may be decades ago computers are build for the labs, and most equipments in the lab are in beige as well. So was it for hygiene purposes?

Please tell me if you know the reason? :)

23meg
November 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
http://members.fortunecity.com/khammo01/images/BEIGEPC.jpg

Navyblue
November 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM
The link doesn't work for me. :)

Lovechild
November 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Beige was the least obstructive color for office settings, or so research indicates..

BWF89
November 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM
The color black for TV's and black & white for monitors/computers tend to go with everything in the room. Wheras if you had a red monitor and computer it might clash.

Navyblue
November 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Beige was the least obstructive color for office settings, or so research indicates..

I'd buy that. :)

But typewriters seems more colourful back then.

The color black for TV's and black & white for monitors/computers tend to go with everything in the room. Wheras if you had a red monitor and computer it might clash.

You have a point, but looking at the appliances decades ago, they are typically black, brown or grey. Beige doesn't seem common.

Lovechild
November 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Ah but you don't see many of those appliances in an office setting, and that's where the colorscheme comes from.

In the end we might never know why exactly they went with beige but I think it originated at 3M, maybe beige goes well with yellow post-it's?

poptones
November 8th, 2005, 06:32 PM
But look at those BRIGHT RED television sets from the 50's... those things are worth a fortune now and what are the rest worth? An old RCA futura set from the fifties even if it doesn't work is worth more than $100, and much more than that if the brightly colored case is still in good condition.

Navyblue
November 8th, 2005, 07:01 PM
But look at those BRIGHT RED television sets from the 50's... those things are worth a fortune now and what are the rest worth? An old RCA futura set from the fifties even if it doesn't work is worth more than $100, and much more than that if the brightly colored case is still in good condition.

You reminded me that once live in a house with a red colour B&W 14" TV set. :)

YourSurrogateGod
November 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I think this question could be answered with a question.

Do you see yourself using a blue, purple, pink, green, yellow (ok, maybe the old skool macs were made like this) machine?

YourSurrogateGod
November 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Also it depends on what computer you buy. The Sun machines are quite multi-colored.

Navyblue
November 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I think this question could be answered with a question.

Do you see yourself using a blue, purple, pink, green, yellow (ok, maybe the old skool macs were made like this) machine?

Todays computers follows the colour trend of electronic, mainly being silver or black. IMO this is fully understandable. Whereas beige has sort of nothing to do with the electronic appliance colour trend.

While red green or blue may be too catchy looking, what about black brown or grey? They are subtle colours and quite classy IMO. Furthermore decades ago black was quite a common colour for almost everything, furniture, electronic and etc, but black computers only starts to appear may be about less than a decade ago. and apprently beige wasn't a trend at any point of time.

davidgypsy
November 8th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Ok, I'm getting out my spray paint... ;)

xequence
November 8th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I had always wondered that. And on top of them being beige, they were also ugly in design. Tragically Unhip.

23meg
November 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM
The link doesn't work for me. :)

It works if you copy and paste it to your adress bar. Fortunecity seems to have banned our domain :confused:

Navyblue
November 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM
It works if you copy and paste it to your adress bar. Fortunecity seems to have banned our domain :confused:

Yup, that works. :)

gray-squirrel
November 8th, 2005, 11:17 PM

More likely, they have blocked hotlinking.

Anyways, I see no problem with beige: the Commodore 64 was beige (okey, it was more brown, at least one of the other Commodore machines was beige though). The earlier Compaqs were beige too (I've seen newer ones still beige).

The cartoon was funny. It had me thinking about how long it took for them to reach a consensus.

A Packard Bell I used to have was gray. And I hardly see those anymore. But the computer case that now houses most of the upgrade parts from that machine is. . . exactly, beige. I did not plan it that way. :smile:

I guess the question is the same type as "Why are the clouds white?" . . . hmmm, I really have to think about both questions yet it is almost the end of the day. :-k

Navyblue
November 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM
I guess the question is the same type as "Why are the clouds white?" . . . hmmm, I really have to think about both questions yet it is almost the end of the day. :-k

They are questions of entirely different nature. :p

Btw if you are interested to know, clouds are made up of numerous tiny water droplets and they are colourless. Their surfaces relectls light. When white light (sunlight) hit them, they would reflect white light and thus appear white to us.

Wolveen
November 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Because back in the day you could smoke indoors, biege hid the tobacco stains.
Ok I made it up :razz: