PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] themes

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 12:28 AM
i downloaded a new theme package how can i use it ?

rraj.be
July 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Just right click in desktop and select change desktop background.

In that select Theams tab.

Click on Install.

Now search for your new downloaded theam and install and Click Apply.

Thats it.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 01:10 AM
there is nothing called desktop background and there is nothing like a theme tab do u remember that im using xubuntu

ModdTaco
July 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
You should be able to extract it to /home/username/.themes and use the regular theme chooser to select it. At least thats how you do it in xubuntu. In Ubuntu you would right click and go to Change Desktop Backround. It really depends on what version you are using.

steveneddy
July 30th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I was about to say that i just answered this question, but the OP has it tagged as xubuntu.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 01:25 PM
there is nothing in /home/username called .themes an its not even a hidden file or folder

Brightbelt
July 30th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi, I use Xubuntu. the easy way is to download and install themes through the Synaptic Package Manager (that's from Xfce Menu/System/Synaptic Package Manager).

Once you're in Synaptic do a search for say Xfce-gtk and themes will come up. Right-click what you want to select and choose 'Mark for Installation', and then Click 'Apply' up on the interface there.

Once you've done that, you can go to the Xfce Menu/Settings/Settings Manager and that pulls up your whole interface to configure your desktop.
Once that's up, choose the icon labeled 'User Interface' and because you installed your themes in Synaptic, they'll be there in the list to choose from.

I hope this helps,...Frank B.

Brightbelt
July 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Also, here's a good resource... Things are well explained here...

http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/design-your-own-desktop-with-xfce-44/

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 02:13 PM
there is nothing in /home/username called .themes an its not even a hidden file or folder

Well, create it then. From the terminal,

mkdir ~/.themes

Alternatively, use the file manager Thunar to create the folder.

Another resource:
http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 02:34 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEyeCandy - Ubuntu Eye Candy Instructions

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
i think that nobody here usues xubuntu which is different

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
i think that nobody here usues xubuntu which is different

Oops....

How to Install a Theme in Xubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=462556)

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
JoneYee the problem wasnt solved in that thread

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM
JoneYee the problem wasnt solved in that thread

From what I read it is as simple as extracting it to /home/username/.themes

From there use the Xubuntu Theme Chooser.

Just trying to understand where it is failing in that process.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM
the failing is because the theme chooser dosnt locate the theme

aomlives
July 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
You have to select the theme in the Window Manager, not the User Interface Settings. I have Xubuntu myself and I just tested it, so it works.

Here's my source:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/xubuntu-6.06-trouble-installing-themes-449229/

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
the failing is because the theme chooser dosnt locate the theme

Ok...

1. Make sure it is a XFCE theme and not a Gnome Theme.
2. Extract the TAR.GZ to /home/username/.themes
3. Choose in Theme Chooser.

I am going to DL Xubuntu and install onto a VM to try to replicate this. Can you tell me where you DL the exact theme tarball you are trying to install?

Edit: My replication may have to wait a bit, Xubuntu is taking a very long time to download at work.

aomlives
July 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I am going to DL Xubuntu (...)

I really wouldn't do that if I were you. It's simply not necessary. Just went to http://www.xfce-look.org/ and tried to install the most downloaded Mac OS Aqua theme and it worked again, although this time it showed up in the User Interface Settings. The instructions above really do work, just need to figure out where in the configuration panel the theme will show up.

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I really wouldn't do that if I were you. It's simply not necessary. Just went to http://www.xfce-look.org/ and tried to install the most downloaded Mac OS Aqua theme and it worked again, although this time it showed up in the User Interface Settings. The instructions above really do work, just need to figure out where in the configuration panel the theme will show up.

Thanks for verifying the instructions

I have no issue having a Vm for Xubuntu, never know when I may need it for another question.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
i have some news ok i found the themes folder in /usr/share/themes i tried to copy the new theme folder to the /usr/share/themes but the paste butten in right click menu is grey

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM
i have some news ok i found the themes folder in /usr/share/themes i tried to copy the new theme folder to the /usr/share/themes but the paste butten in right click menu is grey

You arent navigating as root

sudo nautilus

Then try to put the tar.gz into the folder.

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I suggest that you rather put the extracted theme in a .themes folder in your home directory. Did you actually try that?

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
and please dont tell me to extract th package to that location beacause i already tried and it said thats it is unable to do that

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM
sudo nautilus !!! im using xubuntu and i think i dont have nautilus

aomlives
July 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
It's
sudo thunar in Xubuntu

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM
It's
sudo thunar in Xubuntu

Why do i keep forgetting that... thanks. Prolly cause its after lunch and my brain is disengaging.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM
plz explain what is that root thing i dont understand it but i all i know is that i enter a user name and password before starting xubuntu

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
plz explain what is that root thing i dont understand it but i all i know is that i enter a user name and password before starting xubuntu

open Terminal

type this in

sudo thunar

It should open a file browser, in which you have total admin permissions. Navigate to where the extracted tar.gz is.... copy the extracted folder, navigate to /home/username/.themes and paste it there.

root is the god admin for your installation. Some functions require admin permissions to execute. Copying to a folder you are not owner of, or do not have write permission to would require admin/root authority.

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
and please dont tell me to extract th package to that location beacause i already tried and it said thats it is unable to do that

..and you created the directory first?

Please post the exact errors that you get.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa its copied first step done now the folder dosnt apear in th theme chooser should i restart th computer

JoneYee
July 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I will defer to aomlives here... The files are copied... (not the tar.gz but the folder that was in the tar.gz right?)

I am not familiar with the Xubuntu Theme Chooser's behavior, so I would wait for an answer from him or a familiar Xubuntu user.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
i have a clue for u JoneYee look the folder of the new theme in the new location has a x on it does that meen something like permission or read and write ?

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa its copied first step done now the folder dosnt apear in th theme chooser should i restart th computer

No, you should not need to do that. Try reopening the theme chooser.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
i did mali2297 but it didnt appear that x has to do something with the problem

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Open a terminal, and copy/paste

ls -l ~/.themes /usr/share/themes

What is the output?

aomlives
July 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Did you look in both the User Interface Settings and Window Manager? (see screenshot, I believe that's what these menus are called in English, sorry about my Dutch translations and the quick and inaccurate drawing:))

Indeed it's not necessary to reboot. It should work just look in both sections.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
listed all themes and also indicated the new theme folder

ill also want to explain something the x is on the new copied folder not on the folder "themes"

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 08:11 PM
listed all themes and also indicated the new theme folder

ill also want to explain something the x is on the new copied folder not on the folder "themes"

Fine, but would you please post the output. Then I will be able to see that the theme is at the right place and also see whether you need to change permissions.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
how could i paste the output here mali

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
how could i paste the output here mali

Highlight the text that you want to copy (left-click and drag), then move the cursor to the place where you want to paste, left-click (to focus) and lastly middle-click. If you don't have a middle mouse button, press two buttons simultaneously instead.

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
that doesnt work in terminal

aomlives
July 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Just drag (hold left mouse button) to select the output in the terminal, then right click and choose copy. Then you can past it here.

mali2297
July 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
that doesnt work in terminal

It should. Can't you highlight the text?

Note that you don't need to use any menus. Just highlight the text, then go directly to the browser without closing the terminal, left-click in the message box here and middle-click.

EDIT: While you're at it, could you post a link to the theme that you are trying to install?

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
thanks everybody i got it now after collecting information from all posts :

1-extract package
2-open a terminal and type sudo thunar
3-a new application will open use it to copy the folder extracted from the package to /usr/share/themes
4-now open applications>>>>>>settings>>>>>settings manager >>>>>>>>> user interface preferences and chose the theme :)

im new here
July 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
can anybody help me with my bluetooth threads