PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] SMPlayer

Robbyx
July 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I find that when I play video files there is no sound to start with. I have to choose an extra video filter and then sound switches on. Why is this?

rvm4000
July 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Have you tried to select another audio driver in Preferences -> General?

Robbyx
July 30th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I have tried switching drivers and thought that was the solution because I found it to work without having to choose an additional video filter. I then found that watching other videos required me to still choose a new filter. I guessed this was because the videos were remembering their old settings. I unticked that box but it did not bring back the sound when starting the video, without choosing a video filter. I have also noticed that the when I go fast forward the sound is lost and will not return unless I restart the video. I am wondering if smplayer has become corrupted and suggest I reinstall both smplayer and mplayer. Do you concur or is there something else that needs reinstalling as well; I am thinking of codecs?

Whilst you are dealing with me could you please suggest some set up strings so that the deblock and denoise normal are automatically applied to all videos? I am refering to the smplayer prefs--advanced--options for mplayer.

rvm4000
July 30th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I have tried switching drivers and thought that was the solution because I found it to work without having to choose an additional video filter. I then found that watching other videos required me to still choose a new filter. I guessed this was because the videos were remembering their old settings. I unticked that box but it did not bring back the sound when starting the video, without choosing a video filter. I have also noticed that the when I go fast forward the sound is lost and will not return unless I restart the video. I am wondering if smplayer has become corrupted and suggest I reinstall both smplayer and mplayer. Do you concur or is there something else that needs reinstalling as well; I am thinking of codecs?

This is a really strange problem. It seems the sound is lost somehow during playback and the only way to restore it is by restarting mplayer.

I'd suggest:

- delete the smplayer config files (~/.smplayer/smplayer.ini and ~/.smplayer/smplayer_files.ini) to start with a clean configuration.

- install the latest version from svn: ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/smplayer/ubuntu/

If that doesn't fix the problem, try to enable the option "Use software volume control" in Preferences -> General -> Audio. Also take a look at your sound mixer and be sure the volume is not too low.

If you still have problems, take a look at the mplayer log (Options -> View logs) when the sound is lost, maybe there's a warning or error message there.

Whilst you are dealing with me could you please suggest some set up strings so that the deblock and denoise normal are automatically applied to all videos? I am refering to the smplayer prefs--advanced--options for mplayer.

Add pp=vb/hb,hqdn3d to the "video filters" field.

Robbyx
July 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I followed your advice and it has made a difference. Thank you. The sound is there. I have just tried it on an avi file and this is the log result under the exit code: 1. Can you see something I need to do?

/usr/bin/mplayer -noquiet -nofs -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo xv -ao alsa -zoom -nokeepaspect -framedrop -autosync 100 -stop-xscreensaver -*** -embeddedfonts -***-color ffff0000 -***-border-color 00000000 -subfont-autoscale 1 -***-font-scale 1 -subcp ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -volume 65 -cache 3000 -osdlevel 0 -idx -vf-add yadif=1 -vf-add pp -autoq 6 -vf-add pp=vb/hb,hqdn3d -vf-add screenshot -vf-add eq2,hue -channels 2 -af volnorm=2,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 -softvol -softvol-max 110 /media/flm/The.avi

When I run the file direct under mplayer it does play. It is not running under smplayer.

rvm4000
August 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM
There's no error message in the log, but I see something: -volume 65.
Set the option "Change volume just before playing" in Preferences -> General -> Audio to No.

(The -volume option is not available in the official mplayer, a patch is required)

Robbyx
August 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM
That adjustment has made a difference. The avi files now play from smplayer. Thank you for your help.