PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct...

greenpeach
July 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hi,

I have had Ubuntu 8.04 installed for a month now. I know get the following error when I try to install updates in the update manager:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

And when try to run dpkg --configure -a in Terminal I get the following message:

requested operation requires superuser privilege

Please help me out, I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

tuxxy
July 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Try running at as root,

sudo dpkg --configure -a

greenpeach
July 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Try running at as root,

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Wow, thanks so much for you help. You made my day.

Can you please explain what the "dpkg was interrupted" message means?

Thanks again

tuxxy
July 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Certainly,

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Your automatic dpkg process was interrupted, so you you needed to manually run the dpkg as admin user, the sudo at the start of the command tells it to run the command as admin.

greenpeach
July 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Certainly,

Your automatic dpkg (damaged packages) process was interrupted, so you you needed to manually run the dpkg as admin user, the sudo at the start of the command tells it to run the command as admin.

I see.

Thanks again.

northern lights
July 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Can you please explain what the "dpkg was interrupted" message means?

Your automatic dpkg (damaged packages) process was interrupted, so you you needed to manually run the dpkg as admin user, the sudo at the start of the command tells it to run the command as admin.

'dpkg' is the lower level package management utility in Debian and Debian-based distributions.

You usually don't need to use it, unless you want to install single .deb packages and even for that there's a front-end (GDebi) nowadays.

dpkg --configure PACKAGEthe '--configure' flag let's 'dpkg' (re)configure an unpacked package.

dpkg --configure -aconfigures all unpacked but unconfigured packages.

In this process dpkg unpacks the configuration files, backs the old ones up and runs a postinst script if one came with the package.

Some package you had left unconfigured --> had to do it yourself now.

billgoldberg
July 29th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Certainly,

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand what he meant.

This error happens when you close the window when you are installing something (updates, software, ...).

Barrucadu
July 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Also, "dpkg" is not "damaged packages".

greenpeach
July 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure you didn't understand what he meant.

This error happens when you close the window when you are installing something (updates, software, ...).

Not really, but he helped me fixed my problem :-)

But I do remember trying to update something a few days and did close the window because I changed my mine.

Joeb454
July 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Not really, but he helped me fixed my problem :-)

But I do remember trying to update something a few days and did close the window because I changed my mine.

It's probably updated now... :p

greenpeach
July 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
It's probably updated now... :p

It's all just fabulous! - I certainly don't miss Windows!