PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenOffice New Versions

PA_Dummy
July 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
OpenOffice updates and versions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There seems to be a view on the forums that Ubuntu will not offer updates to a totally new release of OpenOffice.

Do I have to download the “tar” of a new version of OpenOffice from OpenOffice.org and install it in order to keep Current ??

OR

Will apt-get and its variants retrieve the new version of OpenOffice in Septemner ??

_________

dca
July 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Don't know, OOo 3 is still in beta isn't it? I don't see Ubuntu 8.04 offering it as one of it's updates...

As you said, you can always d/l & install latest beta or current release in September direct from Sun's website...

LowSky
July 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Ubuntu's next version 8.10 (or 8.09 if its release in September) Will have the newest, stable release of all the software it offers in its repos. Especially something like openoffice.

Sef
July 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Ubuntu's next version 8.10 (or 8.09 if its release in September) Will have the newest, stable release of all the software it offers in its repos. Especially something like openoffice.

It will be 8.10. The release date (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule) is the 30 October.

SunnyRabbiera
July 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I would not worry about open office 3, when it comes out someone will have a 3rd party repo or something like that.

LowSky
July 29th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I know its release is for Oct. 30 but yahoo new reports that it may be released early around the time of Debian Lenny, and the OP may have taken that as an early release.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20080725/tc_zd/230211;_ylt=Ahw4P.hnvhmKbtAAdLHKhDKor7oF

Eclipse.
July 29th, 2008, 03:44 PM
That guy doesnt really know what hes talking about, ubuntu is merged from sid not lenny.

Plus intrepid is running a bit late because of 8.04.1 so if anything it would be delayed a little not brought forward but saying that.However 6 months before hardy was release a date was decided on and they stuck with it, Mark said they would do the same with intrepid.