PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Alphabetize Nautilus Bookmarks?

safetycopy
July 29th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to have Nautilus automatically alphabetise bookmarks? If that's not possible, how about changing the order manually?

philinux
July 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yes just go to your home folder or bookmarks.

Choose Bookmarks. Then select edit bookmarks.

You can then drag and drop the bookmarks to order them as you choose.

safetycopy
July 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Ah, that's great - thanks!

halitech
July 29th, 2008, 01:25 PM
you can also click bookmarks, then right click the list and select 'sort by name'

safetycopy
July 31st, 2008, 06:01 AM
Hmmm... Whenever I right-click an item in my bookmarks list I get taken to the directory... Where should I be clicking 'bookmarks' to have the 'sort by name' option?

halitech
July 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I usuaaly click right on a folder and it gives me a menu that has sort by name in it

philinux
July 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM
I usuaaly click right on a folder and it gives me a menu that has sort by name in it

That only happens, for me, in firefox bookmarks not Places>Bookmarks.

halitech
July 31st, 2008, 06:04 PM
d'oh, I was thinking firefox, not nautilus and I've never had enough bookmarks to worry about trying to organize my nautilus book marks

safetycopy
August 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Okey doke - thanks for the input guys - I don't have tons of Bookmarks, so a manual sort is fine :-)

Brucevdk
September 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM
One of these days Nautilus (see LP Bug #35347 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/35347)) will implement perhaps the Freedesktop.org menu spec (http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/) (as used by the applications menu). Actually, let me clarify. One of these days the Nautilus bookmarks system will be more like Firefox's. Not that Firefox's is ideal or anything, but the current functionality of Nautilus's system is quite ridiculous (no hierachy, single file for storing bookmarks).

Don't interpret this as simply whining though, I'll probably end up coding this myself once I free up some time.

On-topic, since Nautilus uses the file ~/.gtk-bookmarks to store the bookmarks you can use a variety of tools to sort that file. The following should work:

sort ~/.gtk-bookmarks -o ~/.gtk-bookmarks

booksnmore4you
January 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks!

However, how does one get the places to restore for all accounts after they've been deleted?