PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal question

mdmytryk
July 29th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Im pretty new to linux and was trying to play around with the terminal to familiarize myself with some of the basic commands, when i ran into a (probably very simple) problem. I was attempting to delete a file named cimg3225 (copy).jpg. When i type rm cimg3225 (copy).jpg to delete the file, i get this error: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' . I

Now i if i were to delete the original, cimg3225.jpg, i have no problems. What am i doing wrong here, how do i delete a file containing parentheses in the filename?

Also, i know hitting tab will auto-complete the file name, but it doesnt seem to do this with files containing parentheses. Any help would be great.

I hope my question made sense, its 4am and im not thinking clearly.

iaculallad
July 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Im pretty new to linux and was trying to play around with the terminal to familiarize myself with some of the basic commands, when i ran into a (probably very simple) problem. I was attempting to delete a file named cimg3225 (copy).jpg. When i type rm cimg3225 (copy).jpg to delete the file, i get this error: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' . I

Now i if i were to delete the original, cimg3225.jpg, i have no problems. What am i doing wrong here, how do i delete a file containing parentheses in the filename?

Also, i know hitting tab will auto-complete the file name, but it doesnt seem to do this with files containing parentheses. Any help would be great.

I hope my question made sense, its 4am and im not thinking clearly.

Try:

rm cimg3225\ (copy).jpg

Bachstelze
July 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Also, i know hitting tab will auto-complete the file name, but it doesnt seem to do this with files containing parentheses.

It should. Otherwise, you can either use backslashes to escape the spaces and perentheses:

rm cimg3225\ \(copy\).jpg

or put the filename between quotes, like:

rm "cimg3225 (copy).jpg"

hyper_ch
July 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
or the most elegant way is to use TAB completion:

start with

rm cimg

and then press TAB --> if it doesn't autocomplete, press TAB again to see a list of possible file/directory names ;)

mdmytryk
July 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Appreciate the help!