PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I access my C:\ from Ubuntu?

fckr
July 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Thing is that I just started out yesterday, and so far I'm close to getting the overall picture about Linux.
I've got a dualboot laptop.
What I can't figure out is that exactly how do I access/browse my music/pictures/apps etc. that are on Vista through Ubuntu?

Do I really need to mark the C:\\Username\Documents\.. separately as shared in Vista and then mount Vista?

So far I've heard about apps like Samba and Firestarter - one is for sharing and the other for Ubuntu firewall settings? I assume they're useful in my case?

Is there any other way?

In advance, thanks, as I can imagine these kind of questions pop up daily and it might get frustrating for you guys.

cdtech
July 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Just create a directory within /media such as /media/vista then add this line to your /etc/fstab file:

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=1D8FD5F25AC0301F /media/vista ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0

To find YOUR block id use the command "blkid" and it will show you the UUID to use for your drive.

Hope this helps......

P.S.
afterward just run the command "sudo mount -a" without a reboot and you'll be set

iaculallad
July 29th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Normally when you vista drive is auto-mounted in Ubuntu, you could just navigate to Places->Computer and try to browse the listed mounted drive on the Nautilus window.

If your drives are not auto-mounted, you could post the content of your /etc/fstab file and the output of the command sudo fdisk -l and sudo blkid so we could help you auto-mount those partitions.

On your terminal:

cat /etc/fstab
sudo fdisk -l
sudo blkid

fckr
July 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks!

I'll check it out immediately once this 2003 Server training at work is over :P

I also have some issues (such a MS word..) with a superbadly corrupt install (java6-jre), and removing the file is not possible, since allegedly I don't have the proper access though I think I'm the poweruser.

Anyhow, I'll Google my way to bliss and hopefully grow some brains in the process :P

ad_267
July 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM
This explains about becoming "root" in Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

You can use "gksu nautilus" to get a file browser with root privileges.

You should usually remove a package using Synaptic or apt-get from the command line rather than deleting files.

fckr
July 29th, 2008, 11:01 AM
But the thing is, that I already tried apt-get and Synaptic; both displaying a couple of file type specific errors, that I can't really recall now since I'm not on that laptop..

I think I'm just making this difficult for myself, and I need to check out the root link you provided and somehow forcing a deletion or uninstall.

The main problem is, that I have 55 updates waiting to be installed, and the java applet is not on the list (but it was), thus I can't uncheck the box next to it. Every time I start installing, I get the root error and whatnot.

But thanks!

ad_267
July 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM
There's a few commands you can run to clean up packages and repositories like "sudo dpkg --configure -a", "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get check --fix-broken"

fckr
July 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Will do that, but in the meantime thanks to you people!
Think it's better if I try out the steps provided and we can go on from there, otherwise stuff will start piling up here :)

I'll get back tonite probably.