PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2 swap files?

cake_or_death
July 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
hi all -

I'm new to Linux, and recently installed Hardy 8.04 on my Vaio CR series laptop. Suspend and hibernate are not working. I've read through several of the threads on this topic, but none of the suggested fixes have worked. I'm looking at my partition editor now and it shows that I have two swap files: /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda7. I've reinstalled Hardy from the live cd twice after my obsessive tweaking of the system got a little out of hand and led me to a grub "error 22". Both times I've selected the guided partitioning option. Could this be why I have two swap files? also, could the existence of dual swap files be what's preventing my suspend and hibernate from working? any help would be much appreciated.

namegame
July 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Also, the size of your swap partitions could affect the performance of your suspend/hibernate. I would recommend that your swap partition be the same size as your ram or even a bit larger just in case you have bad sectors.

EDIT: More experienced person took care of it.

PmDematagoda
July 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM
The two Hardy install attempts might be the source of the problem with the two swap partitions. But about the suspend/hibernation issues, what are the specifications of your PC?

Edit:- Having two or more swap partitions as swap does not cause any problems in normal operation, but it may have an affect on suspend/hibernation, though I am not entirely sure about that. Perhaps you could just disable one swap partition through /etc/fstab(prevent it from mounting actually) and then try suspending or hibernating?

Sef
July 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM
How much ram do you have? 1 GB and more ram needs only 1 GB swap, if any.

namegame
July 29th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Edit:- Having two or more swap partitions as swap does not cause any problems in normal operation, but it may have an affect on suspend/hibernation, though I am not entirely sure about that. Perhaps you could just disable one swap partition through /etc/fstab(prevent it from mounting actually) and then try suspending or hibernating?

That's what I was wondering about.

cake_or_death
July 29th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I've got both Vista and Ubuntu currently installed. My swap files are 3.23 GiB and 3.37 GiB. Does Vista have its own swap file? When I type the "free" command in the terminal, it only shows me the 3.37 GiB swap file, however, when trying to suspend using "sudo s2ram" command in the terminal, I'm told the swap file is not active.

kdb424
July 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM
That's weird. On the subject of size, the rule of thumb is 50% of physical ram for swap. No idea how to activate it, because I always did a no swap install.

eightmillion
July 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
You have to have a swap file at least the size of physical memory to be able to hibernate a laptop.

Does Vista have its own swap file?
Vista has a page file that is not a separate partition.

Could you post the contents of your /etc/fstab please

cariboo907
July 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I had two swap files at one point, I am using Intrepid alpha 3 as my main operating system and have hardy as a backup in case things go wrong. I already had a 4GB swap partiton for hardy, and when I set up Intrepid I created another 4GB swap partition, I found that after reinstalling Intrepid a couple of times that the swap partition for intrepid was never being used, it was using the swap I setup for hardy, so when I installed apha 2 I didn't create a swap partiton. I've been running with only the one swap partition for about a month now and haven't had any problems.

Jim

cake_or_death
July 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
You have to have a swap file at least the size of physical memory to be able to hibernate a laptop.

Vista has a page file that is not a separate partition.

Could you post the contents of your /etc/fstab please

sorry, how do I go about getting to the contents of /etc/fstab? is there a terminal command?

PmDematagoda
July 29th, 2008, 12:52 PM
sorry, how do I go about getting to the contents of /etc/fstab? is there a terminal command?

cat /etc/fstab

cake_or_death
July 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda6
UUID=2d47ca63-480a-446b-809b-7630eedaa837 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda7
UUID=860feed7-f9b1-4f17-b91b-113830d64485 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

does that help?

eightmillion
July 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that helps. There's only one swap partition listed in you fstab. So, while you have two swap partitions, they aren't both enabled at the same time. You can safely get rid of /dev/sda5.

cake_or_death
July 30th, 2008, 03:40 AM
The partition editor won't allow me to delete the partition. An error messages tells me to unmount any logical partitions with a number higher than 5 (I'm guessing it means sda6 and sda7). Can I just resize the partition down to the minimum size, which partition editor tells me is 8 MB, or would it be best to figure out another way to delete it?