PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu refuses to copy, plz help - need help quickly

Syndacate
July 29th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I had to back up a drive, it was NTFS, I backed it up to a folder on my Desktop.

I then formatted the drive via a windows machine into NTFS format, then rebooted in Ubuntu and went to copy everything back onto the drive.

Before I did anything I did a recursive chmod to make sure it didn't run into any problems:

sudo chmod -R 777 *

Then I went to copy it all back.

sudo cp * ~/Desktop/EXTERNAL

And it copies for a bit, then I get a ******** of fail:

cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/backup 3a': Input/output error
cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/batch3': Input/output error
cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/bcpc cars': Input/output error
cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/BJPrinter': Input/output error
`~BLANK.ZIP' -> `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/~BLANK.ZIP'
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/~BLANK.ZIP': Input/output error
`BOB.jpg' -> `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/BOB.jpg'

And it just goes on and on and fails at every single file until it gets to the end.

I need this drive operational tomorrow - I didn't expect Ubuntu to give me any ******** - appears I was most definitely wrong. In a jam, whatever is the most stable will fail. I've never seen anything like this. Content size is approx 17Gb in case that matters.

Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong, at the worst possible time.

ajmorris
July 29th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I had to back up a drive, it was NTFS, I backed it up to a folder on my Desktop.

I then formatted the drive via a windows machine into NTFS format, then rebooted in Ubuntu and went to copy everything back onto the drive.

Before I did anything I did a recursive chmod to make sure it didn't run into any problems:

sudo chmod -R 777 *

Then I went to copy it all back.

sudo cp * ~/Desktop/EXTERNAL

And it copies for a bit, then I get a ******** of fail:

cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/backup 3a': Input/output error
cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/batch3': Input/output error
cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/bcpc cars': Input/output error
cp: cannot create directory `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/BJPrinter': Input/output error
`~BLANK.ZIP' -> `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/~BLANK.ZIP'
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/~BLANK.ZIP': Input/output error
`BOB.jpg' -> `/home/syndacate/Desktop/EXTERNAL/BOB.jpg'

And it just goes on and on and fails at every single file until it gets to the end.

I need this drive operational tomorrow - I didn't expect Ubuntu to give me any ******** - appears I was most definitely wrong. In a jam, whatever is the most stable will fail. I've never seen anything like this. Content size is approx 17Gb in case that matters.

Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong, at the worst possible time.

hi there,
to mount your windows partition, are you using the ntfs kernel module, or the ntfs-3g drivers? (post /etc/fstab if you dont know and that ntfs drive is mounted automatically)

AJ

Syndacate
July 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
hi there,
to mount your windows partition, are you using the ntfs kernel module, or the ntfs-3g drivers? (post /etc/fstab if you dont know and that ntfs drive is mounted automatically)

AJ

I mounted it manually.

I did it the same way I've done it many times in the past with my NTFS formatted externals.

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sde1 ~/Desktop/EXT

vanadium
July 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
You need the -r option to copy directories recursively. For "mirrorring" directory trees, I tend to prefer the rsync command

rsync -av <sourcedir> <destinationdir>

(<destinationdir> must exist)

Syndacate
July 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
You need the -r option to copy directories recursively. For "mirrorring" directory trees, I tend to prefer the rsync command

rsync -av <sourcedir> <destinationdir>

(<destinationdir> must exist)

I did use the -r flag on some of them I think, but either way.

Should it matter?

Those directories I posted are 1st level directories, they're not inside something else, it's having trouble creating the directories and files.

I suppose I'll try it with rsync though.

decoherence
July 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
mount the drive and try making a few new files and using it in other ways. if you can't, i'd start replacing components.

also, since you've already wiped the drive once, maybe wipe it again as ext2/3 format. if it works that way, it pretty much rules out hardware as an issue.

io errors SHOULD indicate a hardware problem or else there are some very serious bugs (or something very weird about your system)

Syndacate
July 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM
mount the drive and try making a few new files and using it in other ways. if you can't, i'd start replacing components.

also, since you've already wiped the drive once, maybe wipe it again as ext2/3 format. if it works that way, it pretty much rules out hardware as an issue.

io errors SHOULD indicate a hardware problem or else there are some very serious bugs (or something very weird about your system)

That's very possible, the hard disk was loud, but it wasn't having any issues when I backed it up.

I ended up formatting it with Windows, but Windows froze when I tried copying all 17Gb at once onto the hard drive, so I copied it little by little and eventually got it all onto the disk.

Not exactly a fan of what i had to do, but desperate times call for desperate measures, I had to get that hard disk back to the guy today.

If the io errors you said, should indicate a hardware problem, that's very possible, the hard drive was very loud, and was probably on its way out the door.

This incident made me ask a question, maybe you have the answer, not looking to make a new thread over something so trivial...but does the ability to write to NTFS mean it can put/copy files to it, or just write the NTFS file system?

decoherence
July 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, it can put/copy files to an NTFS filesystem as well as create the filesystem.

cheers,

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, it can put/copy files to an NTFS filesystem as well as create the filesystem.

cheers,

You should not copy to a FAT/NTFS partition for backing up as these file systems do not preserve permissions.

For backup you should consider tar or using the -p flag :

cp -p source destination

Better would be to use tar, compress the archive. You can then put the archive onto a ntfs partition if you wish .

community/BackupYourSystem

http://www.linuxguide.it/commands_list.php?Commands_by_Argument:Backup

Syndacate
July 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
You should not copy to a FAT/NTFS partition for backing up as these file systems do not preserve permissions.

For backup you should consider tar or using the -p flag :

cp -p source destination

Better would be to use tar, compress the archive. You can then put the archive onto a ntfs partition if you wish .

community/BackupYourSystem

http://www.linuxguide.it/commands_list.php?Commands_by_Argument:Backup

It all depends on your needs. This was a windows guy, with a windows hard disk, I didn't need to back up permissions. I keep all my storage parts NTFS, so I can access them from anywhere.