PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu + Opera = sound problems

Polish Rifle
July 29th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I recently uninstalled Firefox and changed it out for Opera because I had a great experience with it when using XP. Unfortunetly, every other time I boot up Ubuntu I will load a flash video and the sound will not work or it will choppy.

My friend is a new Ubuntu user as well and he had the same problem with both Firefox and Opera. Is this common?

LTFC2020
July 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM
is this common? yes unfortunately I think it is
you could try these:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=872332

pi.boy.travis
July 29th, 2008, 05:43 AM
You really don't want to uninstall Firefox. It has lots of components that Ubuntu needs, like the Geko rendering engine. Just leave it alone and install Opera as well. That is what I did.

Polish Rifle
July 29th, 2008, 06:29 AM
As soon as I find it, I will remove the unstable Adobe Flash plugin and replace it with one that is Ubuntu friendly.

Polish Rifle
August 2nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Should I uninstall Adobe flash and get a more stable flash plugin?

cybrsaylr
August 3rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Opera is my favorite browser.
How old is your PC? Opera ran video great with Gutsy and XP on my old PentII PC but ran video lousy when I upgrated to Hardy.
On my new laptop Opera runs movies and sound great with Hardy.

Polish Rifle
August 3rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Opera is my favorite browser.
How old is your PC? Opera ran video great with Gutsy and XP on my old PentII PC but ran video lousy when I upgrated to Hardy.
On my new laptop Opera runs movies and sound great with Hardy.

My PC was made in 2003. It is a Dell with a Pentium 4 processor, 60 GB hard drive space, and 1 GB of RAM.

My friend has a custom made PC with a Pentium 4 processor, and 512 MB of RAM. He is having the exact same problem.

We both installed from different CD's.

cybrsaylr
August 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I had problems installing the latest flash plugin on my old PC. On my new dual core laptop adobe installed the latest plugin with no problems and audio and video run fine on 8.04.

Polish Rifle
August 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I just have the flash plugin that came with Ubuntu (I believe). Are there alternative ones out there?

Claus7
August 4th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Hello,

looking at my opera plugings (opera version 9.50), I see that I have installed the shockwave flash player. Yet I do not remember the process of installing it.
EDIT: I think that is different from adobe flash player. Maybe this link will help you :
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/
EDIT2: Searching some more I remembered that this is a decoder. What I have is the beta version, yet is working flawlessly.

Regards!

Polish Rifle
August 7th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'll just have to start a new thread asking if there is a better flash plug-in? I'm also having trouble with java heavy sites.