PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DHCP Wireless problem

bshrum
July 29th, 2008, 03:10 AM
First off i have been reading through these forums like a madman trying to find an answer and have now resorted to asking for help. My Wireless card works SOMETIMES in ubuntu meaning it will work for long periods of time, but after a reboot it wont work. Iwconfig recognizes my card, i use ndiswrapper for the drivers and everything is great when i can get a DHCP address but i feel like i have tried everything to no avail. I'm on my mac now so i cant post any code or output from iwconfig but any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance and Ubuntu is the greates OS i have ever booted into.

hubie
July 29th, 2008, 05:27 AM
How is the wireless set up? Open, WEP, WPA, etc.?

What you describe is the same problem I have with my XP laptop on my WPA2 network at home. It can take 10 or more minutes to fully connect and authenticate, and to me it appears to be DHCP related. I have no problems connecting to a WEP network.

I haven't spent the time to really try to track down the problem, so I don't know if it is with my laptop or the access point. My wife's laptop doesn't seem to have a problem connecting and authenticating.

El Conquistador
July 29th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Have you tried?:

dhclient [device name]

bshrum
July 29th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have tried dhclient and i still get no response. I will try to post some code output tonight to see if we can narrow it down. Thanks again for the responses.

eightmillion
July 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
bshrum,

You might give WICD (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/) a shot. I've had good luck with it when my card would fail to obtain an IP with the standard connection managers.

pedrogent
July 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I agree that giving WICD a shot can't hurt.

JoneYee
July 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I hate to ask this, but have you verified that the wireless router is not the problem?

I run a Linksys WRT350N and had problems with losing the SSID that were completely unrelated to Ubuntu, but made it look like there was a problem with Ubuntu's recognition of the wireless adapter.

The next time you run into problems, open terminal and give us the output of an iwconfig if you would.

bshrum
July 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah the router is fine. I am posting on my powerbook via wireless at the moment. I did however get an error on my powerbook about the ip i was using being in use when i turned my Unbutu system on. Hmmmmmmmmm.

JoneYee
July 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah the router is fine. I am posting on my powerbook via wireless at the moment. I did however get an error on my powerbook about the ip i was using being in use when i turned my Unbutu system on. Hmmmmmmmmm.

May need to see about releasing/renewing ip addresses on your dhcp clients and check lease times from the router.

irshadcharm
July 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
how to configure my wireless in thinkpas x60? I'm experiencing problems with open wep key (linksys WRT54G router)....not able to connect even after entering the proper key...it checks for some time and asks for the key repeatedly.. help wud be appreciated...

bshrum
July 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Dude seriously, create a separate thread for your problems, you will only confuse things here.

JoneYee
July 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
how to configure my wireless in thinkpas x60? I'm experiencing problems with open wep key (linksys WRT54G router)....not able to connect even after entering the proper key...it checks for some time and asks for the key repeatedly.. help wud be appreciated...

Agreed this should be a new thread for your issue, however I would think straight off that you are set for 128 hexi instead of 64 bit ascii or visa versa.