PDA

View Full Version : Basic Direction Help Would Be Great!

brickford5
July 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Okay, I dont know if this is the right location for this question so I apologize in advance if its not.

I just built a site and I want to use a little interactive ability but I have no clue what it is called.

Basically I have a page that is title 'Postcards' (I am a printer and sell postcards). I want the visitor to my site to be able to pick the size of postcard from a drop down list and then another drop down list to appear where they can pick the quantity and then the pricing to show for that size and quantity.

I'm sure it is just some basic java-scripting but can't seem to find any tutorials or anything online. It might help if I know what it is called.

Again sorry if this isnt the right location for this question but any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

era86
July 29th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Have you looked into reading articles from w3schools.com? They have good tutorials on Javascript. I think one of their examples is exactly what you describe.

pmasiar
July 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I just built a site and I want to use a little interactive ability but I have no clue what it is called.

Basically I have a page that is title 'Postcards' (I am a printer and sell postcards). I want the visitor to my site to be able to pick the size of postcard from a drop down list and then another drop down list to appear where they can pick the quantity and then the pricing to show for that size and quantity.

I'm sure it is just some basic java-scripting but can't seem to find any tutorials or anything online. It might help if I know what it is called.

If all you need is to multiple price by number ordered, simple javascript is enough.

If you want visitors to place order, you need server-side processing with database, web server, and stuff - much more complicated. That would be real programming: learn Python (universal language, good for websites too) or PHP (closer to website design, but less universal, and less "clean" language). See sticky FAQ to learn about programming languages, and wiki in my sig for links for Python (which I prefer).