PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Emerald makes the interface sluggish

shivkrish22
July 29th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I have installed emerald as the window decorator now. However i see that the window animations and the GUI in general has become sluggish(specifically in firefox when switching between tabs).
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Vostro 1500 laptop (2 gb RAM, nVidia 8400m GS, driver version 169.12) I have updated to the latest compiz-fusion (0.7.6)

Can someone help me out?

SunnyRabbiera
July 29th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Eh its probably because you have the newer compiz, its usually best to use the software in the repositories instead of going with versions that are not.
Latest doesnt always mean greatest.

shivkrish22
July 29th, 2008, 02:10 AM
The thing is that I had the same problem with the version of compiz in the repositories and hoped that the newer version might be better.

SunnyRabbiera
July 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Ah, well that will do it.
Its possible that emerald and compiz just dont want to co operate on your system, sometimes applications have minds of their own... I have seen it

droazen
September 6th, 2008, 05:13 AM
This was a known bug in the nvidia driver that has now been fixed. However, the nvidia-glx-new driver in the Hardy repos is a bit out-of-date and doesn't contain the fix. The easiest way to obtain the latest driver is:

1. sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
2. go to system tools, and start "EnvyNG"
3. click "nvidia", then select "Install the Nvidia Driver (Automatic Hardware Detection)"
4. reboot

After you reboot, you should no longer see any lag when switching tabs in firefox with emerald running.

Reference:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emerald/+bug/144216/comments/39

knix
September 6th, 2008, 05:14 AM
This was a known bug in the nvidia driver that has now been fixed. However, the nvidia-glx-new driver in the Hardy repos is a bit out-of-date and doesn't contain the fix. The easiest way to obtain the latest driver is:

1. sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
2. go to system tools, and start "EnvyNG"
3. click "nvidia", then select "Install the Nvidia Driver (Automatic Hardware Detection)"
4. reboot

After you reboot, you should no longer see any lag when switching tabs in firefox with emerald running.

Reference:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emerald/+bug/144216/comments/39

good point, but look at date...

Crafty Kisses
September 6th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Post the results of this command: