PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do i open up .bin files?

leah1984
July 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM
i recently downloaded realplayer for linux from theyre website and cannot open it from my desktop where it was saved.it is a .bin file and when i double click on it it says; there is no application installed for this file type.
im not sure what app.i need to open this file type ? can anyone help me?
:confused:

tuxxy
July 29th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Open terminal and change dir to the one containing the .bin, then run it by typing ./appname. This example would assume its called realplayer.bin on desktop

cd Desktop

./realplayer.bin

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 01:54 AM
run this command to make it executable:

chmod +x filename.bin

leah1984
July 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM
i get to the desktop directory but when i try to run realplayer it says no such file or directory

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 02:38 AM
uh...what commands did you run?

leah1984
July 29th, 2008, 02:52 AM
first i entered cd desktop to get to the proper directory then ./ RealPlayer11GOLD.bin to run it but it says no such file or directory.that is the file name on my desktop.am i missing step?

leah1984
July 29th, 2008, 02:57 AM
ok so i tryed sudo ./ ReaPlayer11GOLD.bin and it worked.what is the diff between sudo and chmod? its been a while since i used the terminal and i just remembered that sudo was the "command prompt" i guess you could say?

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 03:02 AM
chmod applies the correct permisions to the file to make it executatble...

sudo temporarly applies super user(root)privelages for that command(which is required if you are installing somehting)

terminal is like the "command prompt" in linux

sudo is a command