PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Internet! Please Help!

liquidphilosopher
July 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Hi! I have a pc that is running Ubuntu Hardy via a wireless router (Westell VersaLink Model 327W). The problem is that I have just bought a laptop that runs vista and although I can connect to the router, I cannot access the internet. Is there something that I should have done on Ubuntu's end to allow the laptop the rights to access the internet. Thank You in Advance!!

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM
the PC will not affect how your laptop interacts with your router. Most likely there is something odd in your vista configuration. If ubuntu is able to connect to the internet fine through the router like you say then the router is working fine so i would investigate vista.

stevoo
July 28th, 2008, 09:57 PM
well , if you connect to the router then you are ok.
try this commands in the terminal
ping www.google.com -c 4
ifconfig

and post us the results please :)

mikewhatever
July 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Is there a problem connecting with Ubuntu or with Vista?

liquidphilosopher
July 29th, 2008, 03:54 AM
sorry it took me soooo lomg to get back... my router is on a linux pc. no problems with connection. my laptop runs vista and cannot connect to the internet via the wireless router on the linux pc...

geekygirl
July 29th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Sounds more like a Vista problem, sometimes it can be a pain in the glutes to get it working with wifi! (it can be temperamental!)

Did you open the Network Connections window in Vista and click on the red 'x' that will be appearing between the router image and the greyed out image of the globe?

Vista should go and automatically repair the connection and clear out the DNS cache, and DCHP server resets..etc etc and should fix the problem, beleive it or not its pretty good at it!

Failing that, delete any settings you may have entered into the Network Settings window about your wifi connection and let Vista discover them for itself and see how you go.

ready4thebreak
July 29th, 2008, 04:15 AM
You may just have to look for the ealier drivers. You have to look around and find out exactly which drivers you need to get it to work. Then you can use the Add/Remove Application to get the ndiswapper tool, which allows you to use that Windows driver in Ubuntu. I took me a while to figure it out, so I'll pass along any info I can to help.

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 04:24 AM
sorry it took me soooo lomg to get back... my router is on a linux pc. no problems with connection. my laptop runs vista and cannot connect to the internet via the wireless router on the linux pc...

what do you mean by "the router is on the linux PC". arent they different physical devices?

liquidphilosopher
July 29th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I have just dual booted with Ubuntu and have no prob. on that end. so it is a vista problem. I have troubleshooted with some of the drivers and have connected 2 out of 4 attempts, and it seems slow. I'm gonna go head and check with conflicted applications since the laptop is still new and possible drivers. Thank you for putting me on the right track.