PDA

View Full Version : Software to make logos.....

Millie da kidd
July 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well I'm looking at a software for ubunut 8.04 to make logos.
For a website you may say.
Its for an entertainment i have.
Thank you in advance.

Het Irv
July 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well, GIMP comes preinstalled on Ubuntu, would that work?

gunashekar
July 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I use inkscape and gimp. Both are available in the Ubuntu repositories.

Millie da kidd
Well, GIMP comes preinstalled on Ubuntu, would that work?

Well I don't know:confused::confused::confused:.Once i find a program I'm going to learn how to use it on my own.

tamoneya
have you tried gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/

silkstone
Why not use The GIMP which is already installed? You can also go to Synaptic for some add-ons - more brushes, etc.

Millie da kidd
July 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I use inkscape and gimp. Both are available in the Ubuntu repositories.

Which would you say it's more comfortable to use?

lukjad007
July 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
GIMP is to me easier to use on a preexisting image. Inkscape is supposed to be more for original art but I can't get a handle on it.

Het Irv
July 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I don't do logo design, so I am not sure what the best programs are, but I would think that GIMP would at least be a good tool to start with. GIMP is similar to Photoshop, and it has many of the same tools. Start with that and see if it work for you.

gunashekar
July 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Which would you say it's more comfortable to use?

inkscape creates .svg (scalable vector graphics) files. gimp works only with raster images. Unless you wish to create scalable vector graphics files, gimp is good for most graphics work.

smartboyathome
July 29th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I would urge you to use Inkscape if you are creating a logo or other item which will probably be scaled up and down. GIMP is only good if you are editing images and such, not as much for creation of graphics.

darkerlink
July 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Xara LX is a great, lightweight but powerful vector tool that can create some nice things. It's available through add/remove and synaptic.

Dragonbite
July 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Firefox.. because then you can use it to look up in a yellow pages listing for a local graphic designer. :lolflag:

lyceum
July 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I would urge you to use Inkscape if you are creating a logo or other item which will probably be scaled up and down. GIMP is only good if you are editing images and such, not as much for creation of graphics.

+1

I use inkscape for all of my buttons now. Just do a few tutorials to get a handle on how to use it and you will be fine. In the past I would have said to use Xara over Inkscape, but I use it all the time now at my job, so I would say it is ready for professional use.

joshdudeha
July 31st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Firefox.. because then you can use it to look up in a yellow pages listing for a local graphic designer. :lolflag:

:lolflag:

Orlsend
August 1st, 2008, 12:06 PM
Gimp its hard to get the hang of it, Inkscape its Good! Photoshop you have to hassle with Wine *other Wise is the Best, Krita is Nice and easy but a bit limited, Paint.net *.net frame not supported yet I think, GimpShop its pretty good but too buggy. GNU paint is too simple. Kolour paint its ok....

duckgoesoink
August 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM

+1

Don't use a raster program like GIMP to create logos - you will be stuck with the size you created. If you use a vector program like Inkscape, the logo can be scaled up or down without losing detail or resolution (then you can use your logo in any context). You can save as .png to rasterize it.

Both programs are user-friendly (ignore everyone who says GIMP isn't - it is), but they have different purposes. GIMP can be used for image editing, digital paintings, etc). Inkscape for anything with (usually) clean lines.

adldesigner
August 3rd, 2008, 12:47 AM

Lol. Nice. :P