PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broadcom BCM4306 help.

thegnarlypanda
July 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my WiFi card to work in Ubuntu. It works fine under Vista, and I tried a USB WiFi dongle as well and that worked fine without any hassle in Ubuntu.

But I don't always have access to the dongle so I need some help getting my pci card to work. I've had a good old try on my own, I've installed ndisgtk off the Ubuntu disc and loaded a driver but the little icon in the taskbar doesn't see any networks (with the dongle it sees several). I also tried using some firmware python install thing I found whilst looking through the Wiki but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

stevoo
July 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Another shot in the dark ....

type
iwconfig

The last result, should return more than the rest
get the id of it.
most probablt eth1

and run this 4 commands

sudo iwconfig eth1 ap any
sudo iwconfig eth1 esseid any
sudo iwconfig eth1 mode managed
sudo dhclient eth1

let me know if it has done anything

UbuntuNerd
July 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
this thread is talking about Broadcom BCM4306 and they got it working you should check it out

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=735444

thegnarlypanda
July 28th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Another shot in the dark ....

type
iwconfig

The last result, should return more than the rest
get the id of it.
most probablt eth1

and run this 4 commands

sudo iwconfig eth1 ap any
sudo iwconfig eth1 esseid any
sudo iwconfig eth1 mode managed
sudo dhclient eth1

let me know if it has done anything

I'll boot into Ubuntu and try this out now.

this thread is talking about Broadcom BCM4306 and they got it working you should check it out

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=735444

The only problem with this is having a connection to the internet already, when I get a chance to use the dongle I'll give it a go.

EDIT: I got it all working, I used the dongle then downloaded b43-fwcutter and it sorted it.