PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Errors on startup

the_wordsmith
July 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I loaded up Ubuntu 8.04LTS LiveCD (desktop edition onto a computer I've just finished building from scrapped parts, and I got as far as (I guess) the Ubuntu BIOS screen (4-5 options displayed vertically, as far as memory serves the commands included stuff like "run on system as it is" "install Ubuntu on Hard Drive" etc).

I clicked through and it is going through the CD at the moment, stating all the problems. As the same lines keep occuring, I'm assuming it's because one thing is wrong.

example of errors coming up:

[3587.360352] buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 57661
[3758.523903] SQUASHFS error: sb_breadfailed reading block 0x1b9fe
[3818.496260] SQUASHFS error: unable to read page, block 6e7ad5f, size 4b82
[3660.001394] SQUASHFS error: unable to read fragment cache block [6e7ad5f]

and it repeats the cycle of

Buffer error
Buffer error
Buffer error
SQUASHFS error sb_bread
SQUASHFS error fragment cache
SQUASHFS error unable to read page
SQUASHFS error sb_bread
SQUASHFS error fragment cache
SQUASHFS error unable to read page
Buffer error etc.

Any ideas as to what I've done? And also, anyone know if I'm ok to turn it off and on again to restart the launcher? Many thanks

wolfen69
July 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
anyone know if I'm ok to turn it off and on again to restart the launcher? Many thanks

go ahead and kill it. what could happen?

t0p
July 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Sounds to me like your CD is bad... maybe you need to burn another one?

stevoo
July 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Most probably the cd is bad. Bad copy bad download.
I reccon trush that and re-download one and burn again as slow speed.

the_wordsmith
July 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Can anyone recommend a link to download from? I got my version/installation advice from here: (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

and when you click download it leads you to a load of links about how to install it. If anyone can provide a reliable mirror?

edit: I ran the "check for errors" option, it turns up 1 error really early on (only one bar orange).

t0p
July 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Can anyone recommend a link to download from? I got my version/installation advice from here: (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

and when you click download it leads you to a load of links about how to install it. If anyone can provide a reliable mirror?

That link is the one I would point you toward. It should be fine to use. Just cos you got a bad download off it once, doesn't mean it's a bad link. Bad downloads/burns happen.

the_wordsmith
July 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I've re-downloaded, and as per the instructions in my last link, I'm using Infra-Recorder to burn the image onto a blank CD-RW (700mb, 80 mins as is recommended). I went through the steps on the website, and clicked Burn Image. Both times (last time when it failed and now) it came up with the following errors http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/chimpyacee/BurnerImage.jpg

(that's a screeny of the problem, I don't know if the forum accepts pics so link (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/chimpyacee/BurnerImage.jpg)

I know this isn't technically Ubuntu, but hopefully there's a guru out there somewhere?

the_wordsmith
July 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM
*bump*

scorp123
July 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm using Infra-Recorder to burn the image onto a blank CD-RW (700mb, 80 mins as is recommended). Try a CD-R disk and burn it at 4x speed max. CD-RW disks get broken very fast, e.g. those "survives 1000 rewrites" which they claim in the advertisements are achieved waaaaay faster than you think. The other thing is this: CD-RW disks have a fainter reflection than CD-R disks. This has to do with the layers and materials CD-RW disks are made of. So it could be --in a bizarre way-- that your CD-burner can burn the CD-RW disk but then fails to read it. I have seen this happen before. It simply boils down to the fact that not all CD-R and CD-RW disks will work in every CD-burner drive regardless what vendors etc. claim.

As I said ... try with a 80 min. / 700 MB CD-R disk from a "good" brand (e.g. Emtec, Imation, TDK, Sony, Samsung, ...). If that fails too .... can't you ask a friend to burn the CD for you?

the_wordsmith
July 31st, 2008, 12:44 PM
I've tried it with several Imitation 700mb 80min, loads of TDK CD-R80's (700/80 again) and a few Samsung CD-R's, all set to x4 to ensure they burn properly... no dice. Can anyone suggest an alternative ISO burner?

nbayiha
July 31st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Alternative ISO burner Brasero you got it , give it a try and wont be disappointed .

eightmillion
July 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've always used CDburnerxp (http://cdburnerxp.se/). It's free and easy to use.

scorp123
July 31st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Alternative ISO burner Brasero you got it , give it a try and wont be disappointed . There is a version of Brasero for Windows??

Or else ... chances are you did not understand that OP is still on Windows and trying to burn an Ubuntu CD .... ;)

nbayiha
August 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM
I didnt read it well.
use Cdburner as @eightmillion said , i used it's free and good .

Ptero-4
August 1st, 2008, 01:26 AM
It could also be that you got a picky drive (The 500MHz iBook that I used to have, came with a POS CD burner drive that gave me no end of problems to get good CD's out of iso images.