PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] f-spot doesn't start

pranayama
July 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hello. How do you handle applications that won't start? I clicked on F-spot for the first time, and a marker appeared in the bottom panel "Starting F-Spot Phot...", and then it vanished. I try again and the same thing happens, F-spot won't start.:confused:

pranayama
July 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Terminal produces:

desktop:~$ f-spot
Starting new FSpot server
XXXXX
Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteSyntaxException: no such table: tags
at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.GetNextStatem ent (IntPtr pzStart, System.IntPtr& pzTail, System.IntPtr& pStmt) [0x00000]
at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader (CommandBehavior behavior, Boolean want_results, System.Int32& rows_affected) [0x00000]
at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader (CommandBehavior behavior) [0x00000]
at Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader () [0x00000]
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Mono.Data.SqliteClient.SqliteCommand:ExecuteReader ()
at Banshee.Database.QueuedSqliteCommand.Execute () [0x00000]
XXXXX
Can't get a connection to the dbus. Trying again...
Sorry, couldn't start F-Spot

boilerbots
August 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I had this problem and it wasn't that I needed to upgrade my database.

After trying several things the solution that worked for me was to first uninstall f-spot. Then completely delete what remained in the "/usr/lib/f-spot" directory. Then install the f-spot package again and it worked.

A quick experiment of putting back the extensions caused it to crash again, so it looks like it could be something in the extensions directory.

I am happing I can finally get my photos synced up again.

Raffles10
August 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM
When f-spot fails to start you may find it listed in your system monitor's processes list as "uninterruptible", if it is it will never start and trying to start it will only create more "uninterruptible" f-spot processes. You will have to reboot, it's the only way to stop "uninterruptible" processes.

I had the same problem with brasero & avidemux, complete removal and re-installation solved the problem both times:

sudo apt-get remove --purge f-spot
&
sudo apt-get install f-spot

should do it.

merry_meerkat
September 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I had this problem and it wasn't that I needed to upgrade my database.

After trying several things the solution that worked for me was to first uninstall f-spot. Then completely delete what remained in the "/usr/lib/f-spot" directory. Then install the f-spot package again and it worked.

A quick experiment of putting back the extensions caused it to crash again, so it looks like it could be something in the extensions directory.

I am happing I can finally get my photos synced up again.

Uninstalling f-spot on my machine would also remove the directory you mention. Re-installing did nothing to solve the problem.

I did finally solve it by deleting a different directory: ~/.gnome2/f-spot

See here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=844823

Cheers.

pranayama
September 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Thanks. Is there a name for these silly hidden preference files left behind after apt-get purge that block a proper reinstallation. They're annoying.