PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Leopard 10.5 and Ubuntu remote desktop

tashmooclam
July 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I noticed that in Mac 10.5 there is a way to see my Ubuntu desktop built into the os. In Ubuntu system>preferences>remote desktop "allow others to view" check box "allow others to control" check box. "require password" check box and make password. Start up Mac. Under GO>Network, click network and *there is the ubuntu computer*. Double click, enter the password and I was controlling my Ubuntu by my slow antiquated mac! Why I need to do this? I have no idea. But it was fun anyway. What I would like to do is figure out how to remotely view/control my mother's mac. Use a fast mac because this gagged my old 12" powerbook 867mhz.

benfindlay
July 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
On Leopard, you need to go into the System Preferences, Sharing on the mac you want to access and enable Screen Sharing. This will make the mac show up just like the ubuntu PC does in the network tab. If you've got the firewall enabled on Leopard (by default it is off :S) then this should automatically add an exception rule for you!

Hope this helps!

tashmooclam
July 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks, I will need to choose which of my computers to use (ubuntu or slow mac) to access mom's computer. I also need to decide whether to use that "loginmefree" which works through a browser. There is also a document on the ubuntu community docs called "AppleRemoteDesktop" that looks pretty good. My mother loved the video chat, but she seems very reluctant to own a computer, so I want to remotely open the program, etc. She still has to push the "on" button.