PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wine application folder install question

LTFC2020
July 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM
hi
I am trying to install football manager 08 using wine
however when I get to the choose folder location box my choice is not accepted and I have to go back again
apparently the tempory folder is too small
where should I choose for the installation?
thanks

koji042
July 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Just install it to the default location at C:/Program Files (or something like that). It's basically an imaginary C Drive in Ubuntu. If you can't find it, it's located in your home directory, just view the hidden files.

Hope that helps. :)

LTFC2020
July 29th, 2008, 04:15 AM
ok so the game installed and put a shortcut on the desktop but this will not open - no open with wine option
when I go to the installed folder and open it wine reinstalls it very slowly and then nothing
any ideas what is stopping it running? or why it reinstalls?
wine hq says this version should run OK

koji042
July 29th, 2008, 05:41 AM
According to the AppDB page on the program, they couldn't get it to install via wine, though I'm not sure that applies if you're using a newer version. If you still have a Windows on your computer, you could try installing it in Windows and then link wine to it. That or install the program on another computer and then copy the files to Ubuntu and then use wine to run it.

Hope that helps. :)

P.S. How did you get wine? Following the "Get Wine Now" instructions for Ubuntu on winehq.org or just installing the version that came in Ubuntu's repositories?

LTFC2020
August 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
i downloaded wine from the web page
i have no idea how to link files between windows and ubuntu but will do some research
thanks