PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] how could i ?

im new here
July 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
hello every body i want to adjust some settings in xubuntu :

1- the icons r big and the windows are bigger than they should be
2- i have a bluetooth stick and i want to use it to send files to my mobile
3-which keys am i supposed to press to copy command from this site and copy them to the terminal
4-the desktop and windows dont look very nice could i change them and fonts are not very nice i guess that is what is called xfce and there is another in called gnome can anybody tell me the difference ?

Joeb454
July 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM
hello every body i want to adjust some settings in xubuntu :

1- the icons r big and the windows are bigger than they should be
3-which keys am i supposed to press to copy command from this site and copy them to the terminal
4-the desktop and windows dont look could i change them and fonts are not very nice i guess that is what is called xfce and there is another in called gnome can anybody tell me the difference ?

1) Check your resolution settings

2) I can't comment for Xubuntu

3) Highlight & copy (either with right click menu or Ctrl+C) from the site, and then I think it's Ctrl+Shift+V to paste into a terminal

4) Gnome and XFCE are desktop environments, though XFCE is lighter on resources. I'm sure wikipedia or some other website can give you more information on this.

Edit: It's also advised to try and use a descriptive thread title ;) Please try to do so in future :)

Elfy
July 28th, 2008, 02:31 PM
You can also use the middle button to paste with - highlight with left button and use middle button to paste -

eightmillion
July 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
You might check out http://xfce-look.org if you want to make xubuntu prettier. You can change the fonts in the xfce settings manager in the section, User Interface.

Joeb454
July 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
You can also use the middle button to paste with - highlight with left button and use middle button to paste -

I changed that, hence why I didn't mention it :p

im new here
July 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
1) Check your resolution settings

dear Joeb454 im asking how to do this :)

3) Highlight & copy (either with right click menu or Ctrl+C) from the site, and then I think it's Ctrl+Shift+V to paste into a terminal

it didnt work with me

4) Gnome and XFCE are desktop environments, though XFCE is lighter on resources. I'm sure wikipedia or some other website can give you more information on this.

thanks for this nice pice of information and id like to know if they all exist in xubuntu or do i have to download them and how do i switch to gnome ? and is kde a third kind
?

Edit: It's also advised to try and use a descriptive thread title Please try to do so in future

ok thanks for ure comment

thanks all

Elfy
July 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I changed that, hence why I didn't mention it :p
What you changed your post or you don't use one of the most useful things I found when I first came here and the one thing designed to make me shout at a pc when I'm helping someone on win :)

eightmillion
July 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
dear Joeb454 im asking how to do this :)

I'm not sure how to get to the Xfce settings manager from the menu because I'm not running it at the moment, but if you type 'xfce-setting-show' in a terminal it will open. You can adjust your resolution by clicking the display button.

im new here
July 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
now every time i open a terminal from applications xubuntu restarts ??? any solutions

overdrank
July 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
now every time i open a terminal from applications xubuntu restarts ??? any solutions

Ok are you able to use the alt, F2 keys and enter xterm?
This will open a terminal. I remember you last thread on the fat partition, could you give us some system specs? Like memory and graphics and so on.

pi.boy.travis
July 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
thanks for this nice pice of information and id like to know if they all exist in xubuntu or do i have to download them and how do i switch to gnome ? and is kde a third kind?

KDE is a third desktop environment. If you want to install GNOME, install the
ubuntu-desktop package, and
kubuntu-desktop for KDE. You can do this with Synaptic or you could also use:

sudo apt-get install *buntu-desktop

replace * with u or k.

Once you have the additional environment installed, you can switch to it at the login screen. I'm not sure how to switch sessions with the xubuntu login screen, as I'm not running it. . .

Hope this helps!

im new here
July 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM

any solutions