PDA

View Full Version : geany build problem

hammeraxe
July 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I am trying to compile a C++ project in geany. Each of the separate source files compiles without errors and produces an object file. The problem is: when I try to build the executable it throws a whole bunch of errors at me.
All of them go like:

undefined reference to 'some_function_from_included_file()'

It seems that geany is ignoring my #include statements. Could this be true? Or am i doing something wrong?

dribeas
July 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I am trying to compile a C++ project in geany. Each of the separate source files compiles without errors and produces an object file. The problem is: when I try to build the executable it throws a whole bunch of errors at me.
All of them go like:

undefined reference to 'some_function_from_included_file()'

It seems that geany is ignoring my #include statements. Could this be true? Or am i doing something wrong?

It's probably in stickies... You must differentiate between compile and link time errors. 'undefined reference' is a link time error and has nothing to do with #include's but with the libraries you are (not) linking against.

David

hammeraxe
July 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
This is not about external libraries. I have a self-made header #included. Every time I call a function declared in that header I get this error i mentioned above. Do i have to add any special command line options for this to work? I couldn't find anything useful in the stickies (probably because i dont know what to look for) :D

galileon
July 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
at some point you need to link the separate .o files into a single binary, that way it finds the address of the functions. google "g++ link".