PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Looking for iPod replacement

maestrobwh1
July 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
My ipod nano of 3 years finally died:-(

Anyway, although in recent years, I was happier on how the ipod was managed in ubuntu using amarok, I am wondering if anyone can suggest another player that might be more linux friendly that:

a) supports aac (m4a) because my entire collection is in this format
b) can use playlists. I had having to scroll through everything through a player to find the "mood" of music I want.

I had rockbox on my ipod and it was a good thing...

I'd prefer a device that just acts like regular media when it is plugged in.

I was looking at the Creative Xen... and noticed that there is a package in the repos called KZenExplorer, so I am assuming that one needs "software" to read what is on it.

I want at least 4 GB storage.

AegisTalons
July 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Are you looking for a "small" (4-8 GB) size or larger (20+)? That answer obviously translates to overall size of the player. As for the Creative Zen, my girlfriend has one, and she loves it. I played with it also, and seems pretty nice. Has a very good battery life.

neurostu
September 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
My ipod nano of 3 years finally died:-(

Anyway, although in recent years, I was happier on how the ipod was managed in ubuntu using amarok, I am wondering if anyone can suggest another player that might be more linux friendly that:

a) supports aac (m4a) because my entire collection is in this format
b) can use playlists. I had having to scroll through everything through a player to find the "mood" of music I want.

I had rockbox on my ipod and it was a good thing...

I'd prefer a device that just acts like regular media when it is plugged in.

I was looking at the Creative Xen... and noticed that there is a package in the repos called KZenExplorer, so I am assuming that one needs "software" to read what is on it.

I want at least 4 GB storage.

You're probably not going to find support for AAC. AAC stands for Apple Audio Codec, which means its a proprietary apple format and probably isn't going to be supported.

doug1212
September 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
You're probably not going to find support for AAC. AAC stands for Apple Audio Codec, which means its a proprietary apple format and probably isn't going to be supported.

AAC = Advanced Audio Coding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

Other than the DRM stuff it is supported.

Doug