PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Drive doesn't work

bizghetto2
July 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hi, I just recently made the move to linux. My computer had a DVD/ Cd Burner prior to the change. I can burn CD's fine but for some reason I can't watch DVDs. I have that Totem Music player, dragon movie player and VLC all on this computer and DVD'S still don't work.... what am I doing wrong? On windows you simply downloaded vlc itself and it played practically eveything. When I put a DVD in the totem movie player comes up and I get a blank screen until it says

error: could not read source or something like that.... VLC just freezes when you try to drop the vobs into it and dragon player plays the first 5 seconds then stops.

bobbob94
July 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
You may still need to install some software to watch DVDs. Have you tried the instructions on the ubuntu wiki here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs)?

northern lights
July 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Have you tried with more than one DVD (i.e. it's not a physical problem with the disc)?

Is the package "ubuntu-restricted-extras" installed? Run
aptitude search restrictedto verify (is there an "i" flag to the left of the package name?).

If not, run
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

bizghetto2
July 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thank You!!! The wiki tutorial worked! I already downloaded the restricted package thing and had tried several different dvd's but thank you guys for the help!!!

SpikeBzzz
October 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hello!

I have the same problem.

I installed libdvdread4 package and ubuntu-restricted-extras, then rebooted the system with Audio CD in Dvd/CD-Drive. Oh miracle, it worked.. after more than a half year i could hear music playing by DVD/CD Drive. Then I put another CD and it didn't work... neither the first audio cd, which worked a minute a go. I rebooted again but still no results.

PLEASEE! Help me to make my Drive work again!

proxy.qtz
October 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
You may need to update the restricted-extras package.

proxy.qtz
October 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
That, or the disc is region locked to a different region.

bspymaster
October 6th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'm willing to bet it's the first option.

proxy.qtz
October 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I'm willing to bet it's the first option.
Which first option?

arochester
October 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Add the Medibuntu Repository and install: libdvdcss2

http://medibuntu.org/repository.php

SpikeBzzz
October 7th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Add the Medibuntu Repository and install: libdvdcss2

http://medibuntu.org/repository.php

nee, dosn't work(

SpikeBzzz
October 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
You may need to update the restricted-extras package.

the system says: ubuntu-restricted-extras is already the newest version.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM
try this:
sudo apt-get install libdvdread4;sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.shthen try to play it

SpikeBzzz
October 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your responses.

The problem is still there.

I noticed, that CD-Drive react somehow on CD, when I reboot with CD in drive. After that no reaction on any CD or DVD.

Now I got a new message:

Unable to mount Audio Disc

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)Yesterday it said: No mount point cdrom0 is found.

I created mount point in media folder (via mkdir, what is in fact just another folder, don't know really, how mount points work). But then the system "thought out" some other reason, why it cannot play the audio CD.

Does anybody know, how to make it work? SOS!